2003 Ranger 2 whl drive 60mph vibration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Ranger 2 whl drive 60mph vibration

Red Squirel

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger
After 20 years in a Ford dealership that's now gone, I also have been primarily in the auto body end of things for the past 40 years and since retired. I need help with a friends truck which is a 2003 Ranger 2whl drive, 3.0, auto. The truck has a vibration that starts around 55-60 mph, we tried tire rotation and balancing, and then new tires, frt. wheel bearings and brake pads, found rt. rear spring shackle broken, replaced that, found rt. rear axle had slight wobble to it, replaced axle, bearing and rear differential fluid. All of the above has not helped, and after checking other posts will be checking the drive shaft next. Aside from all of that what else could I be missing?

Welcome. I would check the run out of the driveshaft & the condition of the u joints & make sure the bolts that attach the driveshaft to the rear axle assembly are tight.

Welcome. I would check the run out of the driveshaft & the condition of the u joints & make sure the bolts that attach the driveshaft to the rear axle assembly are tight.

Thanks Mike, the drive shaft which is aluminum looks like new, no bumps or dings, u joints look good as well as all bolts.
It does when rotating, has about a 1/4 turn of play.

Back