• Register Today It's free!

2003 Shifting Issue ONLY 5th/OD

jonboyb

Reaction score
City, State
Alpharetta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mounty 4.0 2wd Base
After working through several ABS and wheel bearing issues on my father in laws 2003 Mountaineer 2wd, I'm finally down to the last item to address. I've searched ALOT, and of course there are infinite transmission issue threads with the 5r55, but I can't find another like my issue. I've been DD'ing it a couple weeks now, and sometimes is has a harsh shift/studder shift ONLY into 5th and OD. This tranny is smooth as silk 1-4 100% of the time, but there is the occassional hiccup going to 5th and OD. Downshifting from OD is sometimes rough too. Never thrown a code or anything like that.

That being said, my father in law said he had been driving it like this for years himself, as his mechanic said not to pay to much attention to it. However, I've gotten this thing back into tip-top and would love to clear this up too. Mint condition with less than 130k miles, so I'd like to keep it on the road a while. I did do a fluid freshening on it but no notable changes. Any ideas to track down a rough shift issue only tied to 5th and OD? Don't want to waste money throwing valve bodies, solenoids, or servos at it blindly.....hopefully someone else has addressed something like this. Thanks.

No lights and no codes showing or stored. Talked to a local company regarding a bad servo, but they said I woukd have a nasty 1-2 shift as well if the OD servo was worn???

Probably not a bad idea on the reset/relearn though. Tranny was overfilled from last time my father in law had it serviced so I hoped it was just getting air in the valve body and woukd smooth out but after 2 weeks I would have expected it to have relearned by now.

Back