• Register Today It's free!

2003 SOHC 4.0 timing kit repair

Jfranzo

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer xls
Long time lurker here. My 215k mile explorer just developed the death rattle. It won't rev over 4k rpm. At about 3k I can hear the front (left) chain rattling. It has codes for cylinder 4, 5 and 6 misfire.

I understand the this is an engine out procedure and I'm preparing to do the job. I've found some helpfull threads on this forum and I plan to update my progress here.

I recently did a similar job on my 2011 Expedition successfully. Though I was able to do it without removing the engine because both chains are in the front. If you are interested in a good read, check it out....
Loss of power, no code.

A couple questions I haven't found a clear answer to....
* Since it's just the left timing chain rattling should I consider just repairing that one so I don't have to pull the engine?
* Is the Cloyes kit the best option or should I look for genuine Ford parts?
* Is it best to pull the engine and transmission out together or separate them and leave the trans in place?
* How can I find out if my engine has the balance shaft before I order the parts? (2003 Explorer xls 4.0)
* What upgrades should I be sure to do while I'm in there to prevent this from happening again? Tensioners, guides, oil pump, ect...

I'm sure I'll have more questions that will require the experience on this forum and I hope to pay it forward after my repair is successful.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OTC tools for locking the cams is highly recommended, used run about $150 on fleabay and you can sell when done.

If it were me, I would just replace all since the guides have been heat aged the same. If you are pulling engine, no sense in short cuttinng because there are two other guides that can fail with catastrophic results. Additionally, you should clean bits out of oil pan and pickup tube, so out comes the engine.

Balance shaft on 4wd models.

I usually seperate engine and trans.too tight to swing both at the same time.

A lot of people have used cloyes with varying degrees of success both on the modulars and the 4.0 SOHC. The quality question is in regards to he nylon they use and its quality over long term durability. Given the amount of labor, I personally would use Ford parts, or in the very least, Ford tenionsers!

Make sure to clean oil pan well, and pickup tube for pump. Personally i would replace oil pump while it was opened up!

Last thing, prime system before you run by cranking with fuel pump relay out. You should bleed fuel system pressure prior to pulling engine anyway so pull relay before pulling engine, crank and let die until it no longer starts. Good luck!

Thanks kydirtscooter. That's helpful.
I ordered the Cloyes complete kit today from Rockauto. (900398sc) I figure this thing already has high miles. I'd be surprised if the short block lasts another 200k lol. I also ordered a new Melling oil pump. (m128)
I hope to get started on it this weekend.

Melling makes great pumps!

Understood on miles. Really other than the thermostat housing (easy metal replacement) and timing components, the 4.0 is quite robust. Have not ever torn one down for bottom end problems.

I got started pulling the engine out this weekend. I the parts I need and the timing tool kit (otc6488). It’s so hot in Florida I can only work on it before 11am or after 5 pm.

I’m trying to keep the a/c system in tact. Does anyone know if that’s possible? The book says to remove it.

000EEE1B-A425-411D-99B4-1AEC37E999EB.jpeg

On the 07 sport trac there is about 6 inches of room between the condenser and the engine when you pull it with the fan off. Not sure about the explorer. I just tied the pump to the battery box and pulled the engine without issue.

I got the engine out with the ac intact. The chain guides on the right side are destroyed.
Had to get some metric bolts from Napa to mount it on the stand. I’m about ready to start replacing the timing components so I can get this thing reinstalled.

3D37FAD5-FD88-42EB-AD8F-2FD8A756597F.jpeg

Back