2003 Sport: 4wd, heater & cruise problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Sport: 4wd, heater & cruise problem

AmphiPilot

Reaction score
City, State
Canton, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport 4wd
Greetings: I'm a new member and have a problem with my recently purchased 2003 Sport 4wd. I purchased it from an auction and therefore never drove it. I now find that I have several problems that all seem to point in one direction.

The 4wd does not work. It will engage in 4wd HIGH, but then will not disengage. I had to remove the battery cable to reset it and it's now in 2wd mode again.

The air circulation system only works in defroster mode. I believe all systems default to defrost when there's a problem to prevent potential windshield icing.

The cruise control does not work.

Everything seems to indicate a bad fuse (F2.16 in the Central Junction Box), but the fuse is OK. Has anyone out there experienced a similar problem? Please help!

I'll check this forum later, but if you're willing to help by also sending email, my address is: AmphicarPilot@aol.com

Thank you.

punch in brown wire mod in the search forum and see if all that info. might be of use to ya. I had the same problem and then did the brown wire thing and it helped. I used the switch that has a light in it and mounted to dash. Kinda cool to see it come on when it calls for 4wd on its own. I mostly keep it off all the time except when needed.

As far as the other 2 issues I don't know but use the search forum.

Welcome aboard.

punch in brown wire mod in the search forum and see if all that info. might be of use to ya. I had the same problem and then did the brown wire thing and it helped. I used the switch that has a light in it and mounted to dash. Kinda cool to see it come on when it calls for 4wd on its own. I mostly keep it off all the time except when needed.

As far as the other 2 issues I don't know but use the search forum.

Welcome aboard.

4WD system in the Sports is different. Disregard his advice.

4WD system in the Sports is different. Disregard his advice.

The 4wd systems in the '02 and '03 Sports is different. 97-01 Sports use the Control Trac system. The bottom line is that the Brown Wire Mod has nothign to do with the problem.

I don't have the schematics for an '03 here at home. Sorry I can't be more help at the moment.

-Joe

Back