2003 sport trac abs kicking in @ low speed after replacing hub | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 sport trac abs kicking in @ low speed after replacing hub

stang32

Reaction score
City, State
Danbury, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 SPORTRAC
last winter I found that my right front hub was shot (4x4) at the same time, the abs light was on constant, i know the abs is built into the hub bearing assy so i assumed the abs sensor wiped out from the bad bearing.
before getting around to replacing the hub, the abs light stopped illuminating.
I replaced the hub & the abs light is not on but when coming to a slow stop the abs kicks in, the truck pulls to the right.
the abs light comes on during self test but then goes out.
i thought I had read somewhere that there was a problem with some hubs & the sensor rings (built in) were different in some explorers, therefore it was possible to get the wrong hub, but I cant find this info anymore.
anyone here this?

I went with a Timken hub when I replaced mine a few weeks ago, no problem at all. Rock Auto was 40% cheaper on parts than ANY store I could find around here.

update, I got a new hub as warranty & changed out the right hub (the one I replaced last spring) & the problem was still there., on a hunch, I pulled the left hub & installed the suspected bad hub on the left side. the problem was gone,

so what did i/we learn?
if the truck pulls to the right, look @ the left hub

Back