2003 Sport Trac. Does not start when it's hot. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Sport Trac. Does not start when it's hot.

gfg

Reaction score
City, State
Honolulu, Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac xlt
My sport trac started acting up by not starting when its hot. It like gas not going thru. After waiting 30-90 minutes it will start. This happens intermittently. I took it in to auto shop and said they could not find the problem. They can check it if it occurrs at the shop. it starts for them but not me. I changed the fuel filter but it still have the problem. Any suggestions...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it crank but not catch? It could be the fuel pump, or any of the EFI components.

An easy way to figure out if it is definitely a fuel problem is to pull the air cleaner / hose off the throttle body when it's acting up and squirt a small amount of fuel in. If it isn't getting fuel, it SHOULD start with the fuel that you squirted in. If it doesn't, you have another issue.

2003 Ford Explorer Sport Track wont start when its hot out.

I have the same problem. My 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac works fine most of the time but if its hot ouside and I park it in direct sunlight.. IT WONT START! it just turns over really strong but its feels like a fuel problem. I changed the fuel pump & Fuel Pump Relay and still wont start. after the day cools off I go back and its fires right up, like nothing! its driving me crazy! Has anyone found the solution to this problem? A mechanic told me the same thing "If you bring it in and it doesnt do it, then we might not be able to know whats wrong" need help.. I cant be wondering if its going to start or not every time I go to start it.

Did you find the problem to your Ford Explorer Sport Trac? Mine is doing the same exact thing and its driving me crazy! I changed the Fuel pump and Fuel Pump relay so far and nothing :(

I don't know if this is an issue with these engines or not, but I have heard that carbon build up in the intake valves will cause this

What happens is the fuel will "steam" out of the build up when you shut down the hot engine, and try to restart 15 to 30 mins later... it's ok if you start it again and it's cooled down.

With today's highly emissioned up engines.. they are sensitive.

Try running some injector cleaner thru the engine for a couple for tanks and see it helps (cleaning the injectors is not a bad idea anyway)

I've been having the same problem with my 2002, just started. Had it towed and mechanic said same thing, it didn't record a history code and it started right up for him so he couldn't figure it out. Happened again, had it towed again, same thing......this time he said there are 4 oxygen sensors, and one was bad, he replaced it but says he is not sure this was or is the fix, and can't guarantee it won't happen again. I made it to work and home today with no problem. (weather has cooled down too though)??? Now I'm afraid to drive it and be stuck some place! What is going on Ford???

I had same problem, but recently had fuel pump replaced, so this can't be the cause. The truck didn't start back up at my last oil change and they said it was the emergency fuel shut off switch inside on passenger front panel near feet, flipped it and it started. But I had this checked the last 2 times it didn't start and that was not the problem. Wish someone could come up with explanation........and fix!!

same issue

My 2003 will not start when it's hot or exposed to the sun. Dealer does not know what it is - no codes. This my third Ford that I purchased new. However, my next purchase...

Same issue here in AZ. It takes my Explorer about 2 hours to cool down or when the evening temperature gets to below 90 degrees and then it starts up as though there was no problem. The Ford dealer here has no clue about the problem. They couldn't replicate the problem after I had the truck towed to the dealer. I went on to JustAnswers and they told me that if the AntiTheft light was flashing when this occurs that the PATS module needs to be replaced. The total cost was estimated to be about $500. I'm not certain its cheaper just to move to a cooler climate

2003 Sport Trac not starting

In 2009 my 2003 Sport Trac died while getting onto the hwy. in the cool winter months. After paying to have it towed to my mechanic. A friend helping me remember the fuel switch under the passengers’ side dash. That was it, pressed the red button and it started and ran fine.

Now two years later, in the 100º temps, it would start on day at lunch. Keys locked inside, because the outside key pad doesn't work if your battery is dead. Tow truck came and unlock door and jumped off my truck...THANK YOU "AAA", it was a free service. Tow truck driver said battery looks bad, go have it checked out. Drove straight to the shop and battery test GOOD, tested alternator and it tested GOOD too. It's started ever since that day, but it does sound as if it's not going to start at first. Also, my doors lock now as I start it. Before my doors locked as I put it into gear. Something is not right, but not sure yet. I just pray for it to start each time now. :)

you might have left the a light on and killed the battery? or something that drained the battery completely dead... was your first problem which caused your second problem.

when your battery died, you lost memory settings. and your setting for the locks.. look thru you owner's manual and reset the locks as you wish them to be.. I have mine set so they DO not lock unless I do it.

I've been having the same problem with my 2002, just started. Had it towed and mechanic said same thing, it didn't record a history code and it started right up for him so he couldn't figure it out. Happened again, had it towed again, same thing......this time he said there are 4 oxygen sensors, and one was bad, he replaced it but says he is not sure this was or is the fix, and can't guarantee it won't happen again. I made it to work and home today with no problem. (weather has cooled down too though)??? Now I'm afraid to drive it and be stuck some place! What is going on Ford???

So, another hot day in so cal, and guess what? Truck would not start after work. Called for tow. At 8:30pm it started up like nothing. So much for the hope of it being an oxygen sensor!! So frustrating!!! Why is this such a problem to resolve??

I watched my internal temp display and noticed too, that over 90 degrees, it would'nt
start. Dropped below 90 and miraculously started right up like nothing!

I had this problem with my tacoma. Ended up being the mass air flow sensor. Worth a look at.

Outside temp went above 90 degrees, again truck wouldn't start. Finally 8:30pm it cooled below 90 and it started like nothing. Aggravated, I took truck to Ford dealer to find problem. Problem duplicated for them, and they decided it's the fuel pump & relay switch. $1000 later, I'm waiting for another hot day to see if the problem still wexists.

ford Explorer sport trac wont start when its hot outside.

Had the same issue with mine not wanting to start when it was hot out and it had been sitting in the sun. Determined the problem was vapor lock in the gas tank. For those that don't know what that is, it is when your vehicle sits in the heat with a gas tank that is not full. Vapors will build up in the gas tank causing the gas to not be able to flow to the engine.
Solution: Take gas cap off and use fingertip or key to hold open trap in the tank opening for a few minutes to release some vapors. Best thing to do so you never have the issue is to keep your gas tank full, or close to it, during hot months.

Same thing happening now to our 2003 Sport-Trac. Vented the fuel tank as in post #17 and no success. Now at the shop for diagnostic.

Same issue last year around this time. Result was nothing found.

My guess is its a bad connection as it heats up resistence goes up or its the fuel pump its self. Get under the truck and listen for the fuel pump have someone else turn on the key no crank if it runs it should start. If no fuel pump its either the impeller is stuck in the pump ( ethenol eats them up) or no power to the pump or eec from the relay box. Hope that helps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My guess is its a bad connection as it heats up resistence goes up or its the fuel pump its self. Get under the truck and listen for the fuel pump have someone else turn on the key no crank if it runs it should start. If no fuel pump its either the impeller is stuck in the pump ( ethenol eats them up) or no power to the pump or eec from the relay box. Hope that helps.

Thanks. Read on various forums of this same issue with the Sport-Trac. Everything from Fuel Shutoff switch wiring issues(TSB for that) to clogged cat to vapor lock, fuel pump(Ford released an updated design), sensors,etc.

Shop is working on it. Will advise here what happens.

What a mess.

Back