2003 Sport Trac Manual Tranny/Clutch Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Sport Trac Manual Tranny/Clutch Issue

Bearsaysbeth

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 xlt
Hi! I'm Beth.
I have one of the rare manual Sport Tracs; a 2003 V6. I love this truck! I think I need to direct this conversation to @Clusterpup , since he has one of these rare babies and a lot of knowledge to go with it.
Can't figure out whether my truck has clutch, tranny, or, clutch AND tranny, probs. Clutch pad was replaced back in Feb of this year. Last week I started noticing a roughness in shifting. 3rd & 4th were hard and then no 5th at all. There was a low rumbling, revolving, almost chain like sound that would get especially loud when the clutch was engaged around 4th gear. I would have to pull the stick pretty hard to get it into gear...I'd think it was the clutch, but, sometimes the roughness and rumbling happens with it in gear without the clutch engaged. Found it was low in tranny oil. Had the splash tranny emptied, flushed and refilled, finding very small amount of metal shavings in the plug magnet...less than an 1/8 tsp coupled with some dark black oil gunk...got the truck back yesterday and the gears all shift better & no prob with 5th, but that random loud rumbling sound still comes and goes :/ I can feel it in the clutch pedal and the stick...
I've had 5 different mechanics and shops check it and I've gotten 5 different opinions ranging from a bad clutch slave cylinder to "you need a new transmission". What can you tell me? Thanks!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since the noise is happening in gear with the clutch fully engaged it sounds like a transmission, or transfercase issue. Since you said there was difficulty shifting, I would lean towards the transmission. If the slave was not replaced when the new clutch was installed, I would definitely have a new one installed should you decide to have the transmission looked into.

Black fluid and fine metal shavings are pretty normal for the 5 speed manuals, unless you change the fluid a lot more often than the factory recommends.

Since the noise is happening in gear with the clutch fully engaged it sounds like a transmission, or transfercase issue. Since you said there was difficulty shifting, I would lean towards the transmission. If the slave was not replaced when the new clutch was installed, I would definitely have a new one installed should you decide to have the transmission looked into.

Black fluid and fine metal shavings are pretty normal for the 5 speed manuals, unless you change the fluid a lot more often than the factory recommends.

Thank you, Rick :) I think you're correct.
I posted the intro and question in two areas hoping for quick replies. I saw that Clusterpup seemed to be one of the few out there with the manual tranny...how do I direct a post to a particular member, such as yourself?
Beth

Also, would becoming an Elite Explorer help me with my posts and replies?
Beth

Also, would becoming an Elite Explorer help me with my posts and replies?
Beth

It doesn't hurt, and helps support the forum. If you spend some time here you'll see it is a good investment.

I have moved this thread to the 2001-2005 sport trac sub forum where it will get better views. Welcome aboard!

Thank you, Turdle :)
That was downright neighborly of you!
I had already copied & pasted it into the 2001-2005 forum, but, maybe I'll get double the views and replies, now, with your help
I definitely see the value of this forum and for a mere $20 a year, I am totally in.
Beth

It doesn't hurt, and helps support the forum. If you spend some time here you'll see it is a good investment.

I have moved this thread to the 2001-2005 sport trac sub forum where it will get better views. Welcome aboard!

Based on your description of the problems you are experiencing it is sounding more like a transmission problem rather than a clutch issue to me.

Thanks @JK080...It's definitely transmission...just not sure if it's my slave and master cylinders, too :/ 4th gear was hitting and grinding this morning, even when double clutching...being female, I hate going to a shop without having some idea of what's going on...nothing's worse than being condescended to
Beth

Definitely replace the slave while the transmission is out as it's impossible to replace without pulling the tranny. The master cylinder can be replaced without removing the transmission.

When the slave or master goes bad the first thing to happen, long before total failure to disengage the clutch, is difficult shifting. The driver then pushes harder on the gear shift to engage gears causing internal wear, bent shift forks etc.

Yeah, I'm definitely getting the slave replaced and tranny checked at the same time, as soon as I get my truck back from my paint & body guy. Had a spot on the roof that needed attention before it got out of hand and the appt was already set in stone. I'll let you and @Turdle know what I find out as soon as they open up the transmission...might be a week or longer...my paint guy is a good friend doing my needed work in-between his big jobs...
Thanks again, Rick

Definitely replace the slave while the transmission is out as it's impossible to replace without pulling the tranny. The master cylinder can be replaced without removing the transmission.

When the slave or master goes bad the first thing to happen, long before total failure to disengage the clutch, is difficult shifting. The driver then pushes harder on the gear shift to engage gears causing internal wear, bent shift forks etc.

Back