2003 Sport trac P0305 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Sport trac P0305

dustin502

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer Sport
My wifes sport trac started running rough and the check engine light came on. I scanned it and it had two codes, P0305 and P0316. I put new plugs and wires on it and I'm still getting the same codes. I swapped the plugs from #5 & 6 with the same results. Then I swapped the wires from # 5 & 6 with no improvement. Installed a new coil pack and still have the same codes. I checked the compression on #5 and it has 150 psi. Then I figured it had to be the injector so I removed the intake manifold and replaced the #5 injector and installed new manifold gaskets. And of course, I still have the same problem! Can anyone help me out? I am at my wits end!

www.obd-codes.com/p0316 has a few decent suggestions.

Also worth checking is the alternator, specifically for excessive AC current ripple (dirty voltage output). May need to go to a shop for that, as I don't believe the geeks at Autozone etc have the proper bench equipment anymore to check for that, I think all they have anymore is that mobile contraption they can use out in the parking lot to load test the charging system. Anyway it's not uncommon on Fords for this issue to screw with crankshaft and/or camshaft position sensor readings, which will give you the P0316 dtc. Since you've already replaced and moved around ignition components and installed a new squirter then that's probably where I'd go from there.

Thanks for the information. I'll have that checked

The alternator showed 24 MV. From what I understand anything under 50 would be good

Back