• Register Today It's free!

2003 Sport Trac - Rear Brakes

AgExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport Trac XLS
The shop manual for the '03 Sport Trac says that the brake line is to be removed from the caliper to change out the brake pads. Is there enough slack in the line to be able to do this without taking it off the caliper?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There should be plenty of room. I have never taken a line off to replace pads.
Is it a hard line or rubber? I have never seen a hard line to a caliper but if thats the case it may need to be removed.

I just replaced my read pads and rotors a couple weeks ago. I had nothing to do with the brake lines at all. Don't forget to back off the e-brake pads or take them off if you are putting on new rotors or they will rub and heat up and stink like hell.

never had an issue,I just sit the caliper on the axle and work away

I've done my brake pads many times and never disconnected the brake hose from the calipers.

Thank you for the replies. Just replacing the pads this time so it shouldn't be too bad from what you've shared.

You'll need to know what pads you have on your Trac before you buy a set, there's two kinds for the ST. Phelonic (small three prong clips/ non-magnetic) or Steel (bigger three prong clips/ magnetic). Just a heads up. best way is to take one of the brake pads in with you when you buy the new set.

Thanks for the tip. Didn't realize that.

Back