2003 Sport Trac Shift cable bracket near the neutral safety switch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Sport Trac Shift cable bracket near the neutral safety switch

Hamster65

Reaction score
City, State
Rome, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLT
Having a hard time shifting into park. I replaced the cable thinking that was the problem because the housing wouldn't clip into the lower bracket. The new cable won't either so, I'm thinking the hole in the bracket must be too worn. Does anybody know a fix or where I can get a new bracket?

Have you checked for play in the steering column shifter assembly?

New shift cables should be installed with column shifter and transmission in Neutral

If the bracket is worn and the cable wont stay put it may be possible to:
bend it back
weld in a piece so the plastic locks in place again
use zip ties to hold the cable in place
replace the bracket

Any 96-01 Explorer, 98-04 sport or 2000-04 sport trac, 98-11 Ranger automatic would have this same bracket

Already tried zip ties.........used heavy duty ones too.......lasted about a week.
I'm thinking mechanic's wire would hold better but, I'm going to take the bracket off today and see if I can tweak it enough for the cable housing to lock in. I may add some mechanic's wire too just for extra security.
Yes, the shift lever does have play in it. I'm getting a new set of bushings for it today as well.

nice! if that does not work any junk yard would have one of these brackets........ I am sure I could dig one up around here as well if needed

Back