2003 sport trac started shaking softly about a month ago | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 sport trac started shaking softly about a month ago

22william

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer sporttrac xlt
So the truck started shaking about a month ago, idk where this came from, the car did start feeling funny as i accelerated, but that went away to my knowledge after i changed the oil, I have no warning lights or anything, I changed the oil, im thinking maybe its tune up time? Any help would be appreciated, Also when i start the car in the morning, when shifting to drive, it makes a kinda rough shift to it, but later on in the day it doesnt do it. Uhm also since i had it, when i first turn it on it makes this real rough noise, but this only happens like 1-2 times a month, i googled that and it said something about when someone floors the truck it can do that sometimes. and btw yes i do floor it. I try to be a less speedy driver but its hard breaking the habit.

Oh yeah btw, ever since i had it, it makes these squeaky noises when going over a bump, why does it do this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh and idling doesnt start from the beginning it starts at a certain time, or maybe it does always start i dont notice, ill check later

With the squeaks, check your front and rear sway bar link bushes.
With the rough sound at start, on occasions, this is probably the hydraulic timing chain tensioners at the front or rear of engine.
Search for "rattle at startup" for more information, this is a major problem with the 4l SOHC.

With the rough sound at start, on occasions, this is probably the hydraulic timing chain tensioners at the front or rear of engine.
Search for "rattle at startup" for more information, this is a major problem with the 4l SOHC.
How serious are these? Can I wait about a month or so?

what about the shaking

Assuming squeaks are sway bar bushes it's not serious but needs doing.
If you have shaking it could be due to a misfire, caused by timing having jumped time. I'm not telling you that is definitely your problem, but would cause a shake in the engine.
Check your plugs and wires are OK. Also check for vacuum leaks which will make the engine run rough.
You need to be more explicit as to when sounds and shaking occurs, ie at idle, while driving (2000 TO 3000 rpm).
If your shake and sounds are timing chain related it is serious, resulting in bent valves and the engine is toast!!! If not fixed.

OP, not trying to discourage, and do applaud you for wanting to do repairs yourself. Judging by your thread linked below, you have little or no experience with automotive service or repairs. Your first action should be finding a store or shop with a scanner capable of reading power train AND transmission trouble codes, regardless if the check engine light is on or off. If trouble codes are present write the numbers down and post them here. If no codes, you may save yourself time and money taking it to a reputable and qualified mechanic for your engines "rough noise" and shifting. Internal engine noises and transmission shifting issues can be very difficult to diagnose without being there.
2003 sport trac changing oil for the first time | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

Regarding your "squeaky noise" over bumps it could be many things. I would start by checking the front and rear sway bar FRAME bushings for wear or lack of lubrication. Inspect ALL rubber parts that contact metal one part at a time and soak with water or light oil to pinpoint the source of squeaking. These trucks are also known for sway bar end link, ball joint, and body mount bushing failures that cause different problems a and noises. Good luck and keep us posted with your findings.
How to: Replace your sway bar / stabilizer bar bushings and end links | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

Here's some excellent EF info, most of it will apply to your Sport Trac.
List of Useful Threads - Stock 2nd Gen Forum's Best Threads | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

So the truck started shaking about a month ago, idk where this came from, the car did start feeling funny as i accelerated, but that went away to my knowledge after i changed the oil, I have no warning lights or anything, I changed the oil, im thinking maybe its tune up time? Any help would be appreciated, Also when i start the car in the morning, when shifting to drive, it makes a kinda rough shift to it, but later on in the day it doesnt do it. Uhm also since i had it, when i first turn it on it makes this real rough noise, but this only happens like 1-2 times a month, i googled that and it said something about when someone floors the truck it can do that sometimes. and btw yes i do floor it. I try to be a less speedy driver but its hard breaking the habit.

Oh yeah btw, ever since i had it, it makes these squeaky noises when going over a bump, why does it do this?

I had nearly all of your same problems a few months back. Simply changing the plugs fixed the rough idling. It's a heck of a job on these trucks though. If you haven't change your transmission fluid already, I'd recommend taking it to a shop and getting that done. When I did that, it solved the issue of it shifting into gear oddly. You may want to add a bit of conditioner to your fluid as well. TransX is a good one for Fords. Also, I would recommend, as everyone above me has said, to check all of your bushings. I replaced mine, and the awful screeching noise stopped.

But for real, if you've never done this stuff before, take it to a shop, see how it's done, then try to do it on your own next time. Otherwise, if you get something mixed up, you could be in a poop load of trouble. Been there, done that, and it's not fun.

Back