2003 Sport Trac will not hold in "Park" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Sport Trac will not hold in "Park"

mustang6878

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'10 Sport Trac Limited
I have noticed for the past few weeks that when I go to shut off my 2003 Sport Trac, that I will place it in "park" and shut it off and when I leave my foot off the brake it is starting to slip out of park and want to roll if I am on any sort of incline. you can hear some think like clicking and trying to grab as it rolls.

Today it has started the problem of not wanting to turn over when i hit the key. If I place it in neutral, it fires right up. I think it is in a linkage or in the transmission parking "pawl" in the transmission. Any help or ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tighten the Linkage :eek:

the video is not there, either are the picuters! :mad: HELP!

There are 2 gold colored torx bolts that hold the shifter to the column. The bolts tend to become lose and can even fall out. This causes the problems you're reporting. Very well documented issue.

I think I got it, both of them were loose, the upper one was almost ready to fall out! Thanks to all who helped!

Back