• Register Today It's free!

2003 Sport Trac

Dean E

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Honda Prelude
I am looking to purchase a 2003 Sport Trac, how long will these cars last? This specific one has 130k miles, is it a safe bet?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The anemic 4.0l SOHC is prone to catastrophic failure due to a poor design in the timing system and an interference engine around that mileage. Take it out on the highway and rev it around 2800 RPM and listen for the "death rattle" of the primary timing chain. Also make sure the first time you start it, it is very cold, as in hasnt been running for a day, and listen for the "death rattle". If the "death rattle" is present in either condition the engine is a short distance from failure.

Well .... since my 2005 was totaled at 145K and I was not ready to take on a car payment since I am paying tuition on my kid, I bought another with 172K. I plan to drive it to the moon 228K.

It all depends on how it was taken care of. I see several for sale around here with close to 300 on them.

The timing chain may indeed fail, but most cars have an issue like this. I towed a boat with a honda with a known transmission that was supposed to fail at any time for years before I got my last sport trac.

They are solid trucks.

The pros outweigh the cons in my mind. There is the known timing chain issue, but good maintenance can help alleviate the issues. The transmissions are also prone to failing, but again maintenance is key, and often it's a solenoid that is the cause. Other than that, they are easy to drive, way more comfortable than any other midsize truck around that timeframe, and pretty versatile.

DITTO!

I bought a 2002 with 63,850 miles 4 yrs ago. Liked it so much I bought a '01 14 months later to save wear and tear on the '02. '02 has 85,000 and the '01 now has 170,000. No problems with either. There are lots of Explorers with the same drivetrain that have 150,000-200,000+ miles on them.

Mine has 257,000

I bought mine from a doctor who took great care of it and it has 220k and was a one owner, she did rebuild the trans on mine and did alot of maintenence but sold it to us for a great price, I couldnt pass it up. So far I have replaced the front brakes, and it has a bad roar from the rear end (will be replaced soon) but overall im happy with it

Back