2003 Trac rear door unlock issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Trac rear door unlock issue

pheonix1061

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
Here is the condition. The truck is in motion, the doors lock automatically, I stop, put the truck in park, the front door will unlock automatically when I pull the handle. However...the rear doors will not unlock as you pull the handle. The child locks are off, the rear doors are locked (due to the auto lock feature as you pull away in drive), but the rear doors will only open if either I use the unlock switch and unlock all doors or the person in the back seat pulls up the knob to unlock the door. Bottom line...pulling the handle will unlock and open front doors, but not the rear doors with or without the child lock on. Is this normal? The ford dealer told me on the phone that the rear door should open, but I am hearing others say tis is a safety feature, which makes no sense when you have the child lock feature to enable. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My rear doors don't open automatically either. Only the front 2 do. I think thats the way they are supposed to be. They open after you hit the unlock button or pull it like you said but thats it.

Its stupid, but you can actually open either of the front doors while the truck is in motion, I know because I've done it to see. You wouldn't want your kids doing that though so thats why you have to actually unlock the rear doors.

Redundant

So...You have an idiot proof, child proof locking mechanism. Just in case you're too stupid and don't use the child proof mechanism, you have a secondary child proof locking mechanism to prevent your child from opening the door in the event you don't use the primary child proof locking mechanism. Man do I miss the good old days before all of this stupid crap came into play. Does anyone know if the front door latching units will work on the rear door. Because if they will, I might just invest in them and replace the rear mechanisms with front door mechanisms to bypass this crap. Boy would that tick of the nannies who want to make me live the way they want me to. Already I have to listen to the totalitarians remind me to put on my seat belt with their bell constantly ringing when I don't, now this. Lol

You wouldn't have the child safety locks then.

I know this may be hard to believe...But I don't want the child locks now.

Sorry wasn't sure if you did. just saying. If you do find out they fit definitely post it up because I wouldn't mind doing the same thing.

No...I'm sorry. Just kinda gettin a little raw with people tryin to force me to do things their way. I will definitely let ya know if this works. Done a little research thus far and will likely do more in the days/weeks to come. Best to ya.

If only they just unlocked automatically just by putting it in park.

No...I'm sorry. Just kinda gettin a little raw with people tryin to force me to do things their way. I will definitely let ya know if this works. Done a little research thus far and will likely do more in the days/weeks to come. Best to ya.

why not just turn of the auto-lock feature? That way you can control when your doors are locked or unlocked. I'm pretty sure there is a process to do this. It's in the manual but I can't think of what it is. I can look it up for you if you can't find it.

Back