2003 V8 AWD questions, opinions please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 V8 AWD questions, opinions please

blackout881

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Eddie Bauer 4.0
I currently own a 98 AWD explorer, and am looking to upgrade. I saw a very nice 2003 V8 AWD XLT explorer for 11k with only 45k on the dash at a local dealer. I am very familiar with all the problems with my generation explorer, but not so much the newer ones. Is 2003 the last year they offered AWD as an option? How reliable is the 4.6 V8 vs the 5.0 i have now? Does the 2003 model have the same AWD transmission as my 98, and are there any known problems with it? I love how rock solid my engine and transmission are. Shes a tank but time for a new explorer! Any opinions and comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I saw a very nice 2003 V8 AWD XLT explorer for 11k with only 45k on the dash at a local dealer. I am very familiar with all the problems with my generation explorer, but not so much the newer ones.
Sounds good . . .
Is 2003 the last year they offered AWD as an option?
Nope, my ’04 has it, ’05 do too, not sure what happen in newer years but I think they dropped it in '08?, but the Mounties still have it as STD.
How reliable is the 4.6 V8 vs the 5.0 i have now?
Never had a 5.0, but the 4.6 has been around for a long time now, not many problems with it in the long run, many well over 150k from reading this board.
Does the 2003 model have the same AWD transmission as my 98, and are there any known problems with it? Thanks
Transmission, should be a 5r55s 5 speed with AWD, 4wd got the 5r55w, strong? not as strong – imho – as the 2nd gens which was a 4ld or 5r55e? Some have had good luck with theirs, mine was rebuilt at 53k but i have an '04, '03 not as often it seems. . . .if there is delayed shifting, its starting to have problems.. . .which can be fixed better then new.

Back