2003 XLT 4.6L V8 stutters when accelerating | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 XLT 4.6L V8 stutters when accelerating

magsnwill

Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Quick question....I have a 2003 XLT with the 4.6L V8. It has been stuttering/jerking really bad under acceleration until I get to about 55mph. I thought it was a bad plug, so I replaced them last week. It's still doing the same thing. Could the problem be one of the coil packs? If so, wouldn't it show up with a code and turn the check engine light on?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is it awd? is the stutter more of a loud popping? if so you might have a bad transfer case.

You'd have a code if it were a coil pack and also it wouldn't go away at speed.

is it awd? is the stutter more of a loud popping? if so you might have a bad transfer case.

Not a loud popping at all. It sort of feels like a thumping.

if in park or neutral does the motor rev up normal? are you accelerating as hard as possible? the 4wd doubles ar traction control, when the rear slips it kicks in the front to help out, this produces a jerk but usually just one. has it been in 4wd before the noise?

if you could get a hold of 4 jack stands you could put all 4 wheels in the air. put it in nuetral and turn the rear drive shaft by hand, if the forward drive shaft turns as well you may have a stuck tranfer case, and at this point it may be ruined. i know they have an electromagnetic clutch but i doubt that magnet is all holds it together, something may be physicaly stuck.

Bad Rear End

My Dad's an ASE certified mater tech at a Ford dealership (just a little qualification there), and he has rebuilt hundreds of rear ends out of 02-04 explorers because they shudder. It often seems like it's an engine problem, but it's actually the rear end forcing the crankshaft to slow down. It has something to do with the way they are angled with the drive shaft if I remember correctly...anyway...it's an unrestricted recall bulletin, so you should go into a dealership and see if that's what it is. If so, they'll do all the work for free.

if in park or neutral does the motor rev up normal? are you accelerating as hard as possible? the 4wd doubles ar traction control, when the rear slips it kicks in the front to help out, this produces a jerk but usually just one. has it been in 4wd before the noise?

if you could get a hold of 4 jack stands you could put all 4 wheels in the air. put it in nuetral and turn the rear drive shaft by hand, if the forward drive shaft turns as well you may have a stuck tranfer case, and at this point it may be ruined. i know they have an electromagnetic clutch but i doubt that magnet is all holds it together, something may be physicaly stuck.

Revving in park and neutral appear to be normal. It jerks under normal acceleration. If you really baby it, it doesn't jerk.

We were at the beach a few weeks ago where we had to drive up the beach to get to our house, so it was in 4-wheel drive a lot, but it didn't start jerking until I put new tires on the rear the week after I got back from the beach.

I put new tires on the rear the week after I got back from the beach.

Do you have mis-matched tires, old on the front new on the rear? Is the tread depth the same?
If not that might engage traction control or turn the 4wd on. . .????. . .maybe?

Do you have mis-matched tires, old on the front new on the rear? Is the tread depth the same?
If not that might engage traction control or turn the 4wd on. . .????. . .maybe?

The tires are mismatched. There is less tread on the front, but the difference was far worse before I changed the rear tires.

if the pcm detects the rear wheels moving faster than the front it will engage the 4wd. but im sure there is a reasonable amount of difference allowed before that happens. im not saysing it wont do the trick, but im not expecting it to. in order for that to happen you'd have to have smaller tires in the rear anyways, so unless the new tires are up front and the rears are significantly smaller i'd rule that out.

i'd check out that recall, its free and might be the actual problem. after thats ruled out i'd start to look at other things.

It's the mismatched tires. That's a very big no-no with the auto 4WD systems. You risk serious damage to the transfer case by continuing to drive it like that. At the very least you should disable the A4WD system until you can get a set of matching tires on there. You can disable it by pulling power fuses 17 and 18 or pulling the connectors off the control module behind the glovebox.

It's the mismatched tires. That's a very big no-no with the auto 4WD systems. You risk serious damage to the transfer case by continuing to drive it like that. At the very least you should disable the A4WD system until you can get a set of matching tires on there. You can disable it by pulling power fuses 17 and 18 or pulling the connectors off the control module behind the glovebox.

If I do this, will I still be able to have 4wd, just not auto 4wd?

You could do the brown wire mod if you want to have 4wd available when you switch it on. The important thing is not to be driving it on hard surfaces in 4wd. That's really hard on the t-case. Personally I suggest you get 4 matching tires on it asap. There's a sticky in the Modded 2002-2005 forum on the BWM.

My owners manual has fuse 12 as the 4x4 module. Is this the one that I need to pull?

By mis-matched, do you mean different brands? They are the same size tires, just new, different brand on the rear.

My owners manual has fuse 12 as the 4x4 module. Is this the one that I need to pull?

You should pull the power fuses in the battery junction box or pull the two connectors off the 4X4 control module.

By mis-matched, do you mean different brands? They are the same size tires, just new, different brand on the rear.

Mismatched means different size, as in different circumference. Two new tires and two old tires, (or 3 old and 1 new, whatever) even the same brand and initial size, are mismatched. The new tires are bigger than the older ones. The 4X4 control module reads the different turning rates as wheel slip and is iniating your 4WD. Sometimes rotating the tires can make an improvement, you could try that.

I pulled fuse 12. No change. I'll try the control module next.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i've been having these problems too.

thanks for all the input and help

this site kiks azz!!!!!!!!

Back