• Register Today It's free!

2003 XLT bogging down

gaw

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
03' XLT
Long story short...I had a ses light come on and got codes p0300, 0304, 0305, 0306...I have 95000 miles. I replaced plugs, plug wires, fuel filter. No more ses light. Just got back from a 2000 mile trip. My problem...when I used my cruise control...and I needed to accelerate to pass a car...the XLT bogged down when I pressed the accelerator...like it was missing or surging...then I would push further and it would just pop out of the bog feeling. No ses light and when I would come to a stop on the trip, the idle was fine. It seems to be most prevalent around 65-70 mph. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you ever find out the problem?

I'm experiencing the same problem on my 03 XLT AWD V8 (108k miles). The first time this happened to me, my mechanic retrieved the code (P030) which indicated cylinder misfire. Diagnosis was a bad ignition coil. I also replaced the spark plugs to be safe.

About 3 weeks later, it happened again. SES light started flashing again and the truck was very reluctant to accelerate past 65mph. This time I took it to my Ford dealership and they were unable to retrieve a code.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Still trying to figure out what is going on. My wife drove it today and said she was getting a ses light, but it didn't stay on. I don't know where to start troubleshooting...

Okay...replaced ignition coil...ran great...today ses light came on and now I'm getting the same 0300,304,305,306...autozone said it might be the injectors...but on 3 cylinders? Help!

Simliar issues with mine that I finally got sorted today, actually just picked up the truck and it ran well. Long story short, I tried to trouble shoot it myself with the local Autozone. First the guy said it needed plugs and O2 sensors. I replaced the plugs first, nothing, still ran rough. Had it tested again and it came back 02 sensors. Replaced the 3 it claimed were bad and still nothing. Took it to my local shop and after 2 days of searching, they found that a fuel injector went bad due to a never changed fuel filter. They ended up cleaning the other injectors, replaced the fuel filter, and bad injector and I am back on the road.

Good luck with it. The Autozone option is helpful but be careful. I ended up wasting more time and money last weekend trying to fix it myself. I spent $150 on the 3 O2 sensors and the time Saturday wrenching on it for nothing. Can not return them as they are on the car so if you need a good Ford O2 sensor, let me know!

Finally got to the bottom of it. I had a bad fuel injector and oxygen sensor. Also needed a transmission overhaul.

Now, it shifts and accelerates like butter.

How did you find out which fuel injector and sensor was bad? What led you to the transmission? Still trying to figure this out...

I just drove it until the problems became blatantly consistent and the check engine light came on again.

I went to a different dealership than the usual one I frequent. Based on the problems I detailed (strong exhaust, transmission shuttering, poor acceleration) they identified the injector and O2 sensor as problems first. The check engine light recorded a code that indicated an injector was stuck open.

Then one of the mechanics drove my truck over the weekend to see if it was fixed. It was apparent at that point the trans needed closer inspection. They tore down the trans, found a slew of problems and subsequently performed an overhaul.

Now, its like driving a completely different truck. I know most people hate the dealership, but in my recent experience, the Ford dealership provided excellent service and commitment to fixing the problem for me.

Long story short...with no success at codes other than the random misfire codes (PO300, P0304, PO305, PO306), I took it to the ford house and paid 90.00 for a diagnosis...they had to take it for a drive and came back to say it was a bank 21 oxygen sensor. They wanted 385.00 to replace it... :( so I said, "no thanks" and put a Bosch O2 sensor in myself for 48.00. So far, no more problems...I guess the Ford computer is pretty finicky about the sensors, because I've had numerous friends who work on cars say that the O2 sensors usually are not the solution...I'll repost if this doesn't do the trick...

Back