• Register Today It's free!

2003 XLT E-Brake

03Explo20

Reaction score
City, State
Jonestown, Pa.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT
I noticed the e-brake cable is hanging and broke on the drivers side of my XLT. I don't use the e-brake but imagine this needs to be intact for PA inspection. Does anyone know if just the broken cable side can be replaced or does the entire cable, back to front, need replaced?

There is a front parking brake cable, intermediate parking brake cable (terminates with attached equalizer at rear end of cable), and left and right rear parking brake cables. Left rear is 2A809 and right rear is 2A635. So it is 3 sections of cable, each replaceable.

was told by my mechanic today that the cable could be broken at a spot where replacing the whole pedal inside is required. taking in for inspection tomorrow and he says if it's a simple cable exchange he'll do it. if it's the whole pedal, he'll let it slide. was looking dfor videos on changing these cables but haven't found any.

Shop manual shows it terminating in the mechanism in the drivers kick panel and describes how to insert a pin to relieve tension and remove. FYI.

Back