2003 XLT Sport... Miles Per Tank....... Been asked before I know.... But I want to.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 XLT Sport... Miles Per Tank....... Been asked before I know.... But I want to..

Dave02EX

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 xlt sport
I searched high and low, Ive been trying to calculate my MPG over the past couple of months so any help would be great.

Ok my truck is an stock 2003 XLKT sport loaded leather 4x4 ext.

I run 5/30 Mobile One and change it every 5000 K. and Ive got an K&N Air Filter thats it.

I know its winter Ive had the truck since Oct 2006, Truck currently has
55'625 K miles

Full tank at almost 85% all highway I can get 295 Miles to that tank and thats running it empty to the gas station...

and it doesnt matter if I keep out of it on cruise at 60 MPH or heavy footed an 90 MPH it seems to get close to the same numbers.

city highway mix about 50/50 mix i can get 180-190 Miles to the tank
is this about right?

I love the truck I didnt buy it to expect good mileage i myself think its getting allright mileage for what it is.. I just want to compare to see what others are getting to see if mine is close to what others get... I think my tires are 255/75/16's sound right???? tranny is Auto. and I love the truck

whats the best mileage your all getting in the summer?
take care
and thanks
Dave

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want to calculate miles per gallon accurately, make sure your odometer reads exact, or find a formula to take it's output to make it exact.

Then try to fill up at the same station at the same pump every time, and just divide actual miles traveled by gallons you pump into the tank.

you do know how to calculate mpg, dont you? you fill up your tank (different models have different size tank space)...then you drive it till you fill it up exactly the same way (till it clicks off the first time..both times) and see how many miles you drove between fillups. divide them into (gallons into miles driven) each other and thats your mpg...you have to do this a few times to get an accurate average. i get 17.5 mpg on my 2002 explorer 4.0 6 cyclinder 2wd in the city and about 21 on the highway. i use to get only 15-15.5 when i filled the tires according to the recommended 35f/38r, but saw an increase when the tire place filled them all to 38.

you do know how to calculate mpg, dont you? you fill up your tank (different models have different size tank space)...then you drive it till you fill it up exactly the same way (till it clicks off the first time..both times) and see how many miles you drove between fillups. divide them into (gallons into miles driven) each other and thats your mpg...you have to do this a few times to get an accurate average. i get 17.5 mpg on my 2002 explorer 4.0 6 cyclinder 2wd in the city and about 21 on the highway. i use to get only 15-15.5 when i filled the tires according to the recommended 35f/38r, but saw an increase when the tire place filled them all to 38.

Thanks I put on 280 Miles a day on my explorer I figured out my MPG over this entire week and the best I can get is 20.5 MPG thats all highway City I'm lucky to get 15 MPG and highway city mix is around 17.5 MPG.

I filled all 4 tires up to 38 tonight I'll check by friday and see if that made any change It looks as if at 38 PSI the tires are more balloned which will wear the centers out quick so i'll see what the outcome is

thanks
Dave

the rear tires are recommended to be filled at 38. they suggest that you fill the front to 35, but the tire center said that wasnt necessary. if it would wear the tires out at 38, then why would they suggest the rear to be filled to 38? Just a thought...i did noticed since the change, i have been getting better mpg. Will it mean that the tires wear faster. dunno....maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

Yep thats right... they are rated 15/20 city highway. I get almost exactly that with my ex depending on what kind of driving I am doing. The only exception was when I was moving back home with it all filled up with stuff and doing entirely highway driving. I guess because of the load I was babying the throttle and got 440 miles on that tank (over 20 mpg). It was kind of a shocker since I figured the load would hurt my mileage.

I usually get about 330 to 350 miles per tank. When I fill up I usually have 20 or 30 miles to go until empty according to the computer. I try to stay off the throttle as much as possible.

Back