2004 4.6 timing chain tensioner questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 4.6 timing chain tensioner questions

hertfordnc

Reaction score
City, State
Hertford, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT 4.6 xlt
Engine has 150K and maybe not enough oil changes. Runs perfectly, uses NO OIL.
Slight tick/rattle at idle. Can't hear it while driving. Pretty sure it's related to the timing chain.

It it's the timing chain tensioners do they tend to fail quickly or can I keep driving it for a while ?
(daily commute 50 miles)

There's lots of videos on how to do it but I'd like to hear from people who have done it. How long did it take?

I'm a pretty fair shade tree wrench. What were the hard parts?

Any additives that will slow the deterioration?

A large problem is the engine uses plastic guides for the timing chains. If the chains are getting loose, the guides are probably worn and/or broken. If they are broken, bits of plastic will drop into the oil pan and get chewed up and get into the oil pump. You can remove the valve cover and inspect the chains from the top and get a peek at the guides.

I have done the timing components in a 2002 and a 2003 4.6l V8. The first time took me 18 hours, working slowly, the second one took 12 hours. Look through the videos and read up on this, there are lots of tips to make it easier. The power steering pump has one bolt that is a pain to get out, but you can do it without pulling the pulley off the pump. Removing the alternator and the water pump will give you more room to work, and covering the radiator with cardboard will save your knuckles and the radiator fins.
You can find a lot of info and diagrams here. http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/300/397/397-M-6004-462V.pdf

How much more work is it remove the grille and radiator? I am thinking about an electric fan and a front mounted trailer hitch so it would make all three jobs a lot more pleasant unless it was really difficult to clear everything out of the way.

Back