• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

2004 AZ Run Photos

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Joined
February 8, 1999
Messages
32,870
Reaction score
1,531
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Jefe, OffroacKC and I went out wheeling today, the rest of the group should be out tomorrow. Today we ran Raw Deal and a bit of Terminator, plus we played around for awhile afterwards. It was a really easy going day.

Here's the photos http://www.explorerforum.com/az2004_fri/index.htm
 


Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.








RockRanger

Elite Ranger
Elite Explorer
Joined
January 14, 2001
Messages
6,244
Reaction score
208
City, State
Fresno CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 ranger no more
Callsign
KK6TDL
looks like a fun day wish I was there. Maybe next year. Are those IROKS rick? How do you like them?

Matt
 








AspenX

Explorer Addict
Joined
April 21, 2003
Messages
1,205
Reaction score
0
City, State
Garland, TX Aspen,Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB 4x4,04 Z06 Corvette
Looks fun. Cant wait to see the rest of the weekends pics.
 




Dust

Active Member
Joined
May 21, 2001
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Bronco
damn I totally forgot about your yearly run rick. I didnt make much of the trails last year with towing people home with my bronco and getting stuck helping out with that accident.
 




Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Joined
February 8, 1999
Messages
32,870
Reaction score
1,531
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
RockRanger said:
looks like a fun day wish I was there. Maybe next year. Are those IROKS rick? How do you like them?

I'm really liking the IROKs. I have really tried to abuse them and they haven't lost even a piece of a lug yet. The rubber is much softer then the Swamper SX, so instead of breaking off lug pieces it just wraps and bites in.

Eventful day on the Martinez Canyon run today. Jefe's steering box pulled away from the frame. All 3 bolts sheared off and the sleeve in the frame pulled through. Thankfully Jeff was prepared with 3 new bolts and a Ready Welder :D And in a couple hours we were out of there.
 




TravisC

My bro, JoshC in Iraq
Joined
August 26, 2002
Messages
1,149
Reaction score
0
City, State
Hurricane, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport
Rick said:
Jefe's steering box pulled away from the frame. All 3 bolts sheared off and the sleeve in the frame pulled through. Thankfully Jeff was prepared with 3 new bolts and a Ready Welder :D And in a couple hours we were out of there.
It seems like a lot of the 2nd gen SAS are doing that, is there any reasoning behind that?

Looks you like had a blast, I wish my brother and I could join all you desert folk for some trails. One day we might be able to.
 




Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Joined
February 8, 1999
Messages
32,870
Reaction score
1,531
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
TravisC said:
It seems like a lot of the 2nd gen SAS are doing that, is there any reasoning behind that?

I think that portion of the frame needs to be plated on both sides to reinforce it. The frame wasn't meant for that sort of loading since it wasn't designed for a steering box.
 




FAKRWEE

Elite Explorer
Elite Explorer
Joined
April 19, 2000
Messages
1,263
Reaction score
1
City, State
Carlsbad, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Jeep Rubicon
Looks like you guy's are having a great time. Either the trails are getting easier or the rigs and drivers better. :thumbsup:
 




Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Joined
February 8, 1999
Messages
32,870
Reaction score
1,531
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH




RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Moderator
Elite Explorer
Joined
July 14, 1999
Messages
10,156
Reaction score
399
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
What's with that odd hat Jefe is wearing in the first pic???

:p ;)
 








offroadkc

Elite Explorer
Elite Explorer
Joined
July 9, 2001
Messages
341
Reaction score
0
City, State
Queen Creek, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT 4X4
My digital camera took a dump and I lost all but about 6 pics from this weekend. :fire:
 








taxx

Make em say Ugh
Joined
June 11, 2001
Messages
4,128
Reaction score
1
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
73 EB
Rick said:
I think that portion of the frame needs to be plated on both sides to reinforce it. The frame wasn't meant for that sort of loading since it wasn't designed for a steering box.


It looks like the welds broke from lack of penetration, but the frame was intact. This is the first second gen SASer I have heard busting the steering box off. Mine has held up great to all sorts of abuse. Was it the welds or did the frame show some sort of weakness too? I agree that frame is soft, but properly sleeved it should hold up perfect.
 




offroadkc

Elite Explorer
Elite Explorer
Joined
July 9, 2001
Messages
341
Reaction score
0
City, State
Queen Creek, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT 4X4
Rick said:
How was the run on Sunday?
Only 1 truck stuck in the mud up to it's frame for around 20 hours, Josh having to give Jeff the strap, Jeff panicking everytime he was off camber (I never thought I'd see the guy lose control like that - it was scary).
You know - normal stuff.

You didn't miss much. And we realized that at your age wheeling like that would have just put way too much strain on ya. :D

I'll get some of my pics up by tomorrow.
 




Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Joined
February 8, 1999
Messages
32,870
Reaction score
1,531
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
taxxman2k said:
It looks like the welds broke from lack of penetration, but the frame was intact. This is the first second gen SASer I have heard busting the steering box off. Mine has held up great to all sorts of abuse. Was it the welds or did the frame show some sort of weakness too? I agree that frame is soft, but properly sleeved it should hold up perfect.

The frame cracked around the hole and also under the area near the radius of the frame where it goes from verticle to horizontal in the boxed section.
 




Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Joined
February 8, 1999
Messages
32,870
Reaction score
1,531
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
offroadkc said:
And we realized that at your age wheeling like that would have just put way too much strain on ya. :D


:p ;)
 


Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.




taxx

Make em say Ugh
Joined
June 11, 2001
Messages
4,128
Reaction score
1
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
73 EB
Rick said:
The frame cracked around the hole and also under the area near the radius of the frame where it goes from verticle to horizontal in the boxed section.


Ouch. Sounds like where my track bar bracket ripped my frame. Not fun! Glad he was prepaired. Looked like a fun run!
 




Top