Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH
Jefe, OffroacKC and I went out wheeling today, the rest of the group should be out tomorrow. Today we ran Raw Deal and a bit of Terminator, plus we played around for awhile afterwards. It was a really easy going day.

Here's the photos http://www.explorerforum.com/az2004_fri/index.htm

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks like a fun day wish I was there. Maybe next year. Are those IROKS rick? How do you like them?

Matt

I see looks life Jefe still didn't get his leafs changed :p

Looks like fun guys! ;)

Looks fun. Cant wait to see the rest of the weekends pics.

damn I totally forgot about your yearly run rick. I didnt make much of the trails last year with towing people home with my bronco and getting stuck helping out with that accident.

RockRanger said:
looks like a fun day wish I was there. Maybe next year. Are those IROKS rick? How do you like them?

I'm really liking the IROKs. I have really tried to abuse them and they haven't lost even a piece of a lug yet. The rubber is much softer then the Swamper SX, so instead of breaking off lug pieces it just wraps and bites in.

Eventful day on the Martinez Canyon run today. Jefe's steering box pulled away from the frame. All 3 bolts sheared off and the sleeve in the frame pulled through. Thankfully Jeff was prepared with 3 new bolts and a Ready Welder :D And in a couple hours we were out of there.

Rick said:
Jefe's steering box pulled away from the frame. All 3 bolts sheared off and the sleeve in the frame pulled through. Thankfully Jeff was prepared with 3 new bolts and a Ready Welder :D And in a couple hours we were out of there.
It seems like a lot of the 2nd gen SAS are doing that, is there any reasoning behind that?

Looks you like had a blast, I wish my brother and I could join all you desert folk for some trails. One day we might be able to.

TravisC said:
It seems like a lot of the 2nd gen SAS are doing that, is there any reasoning behind that?

I think that portion of the frame needs to be plated on both sides to reinforce it. The frame wasn't meant for that sort of loading since it wasn't designed for a steering box.

Looks like you guy's are having a great time. Either the trails are getting easier or the rigs and drivers better. :thumbsup:

What's with that odd hat Jefe is wearing in the first pic???

:p ;)

Well that's one I have to say about jefe...The man is prepared! :thumbsup:

My digital camera took a dump and I lost all but about 6 pics from this weekend. :fire:

How was the run on Sunday?

Rick said:
I think that portion of the frame needs to be plated on both sides to reinforce it. The frame wasn't meant for that sort of loading since it wasn't designed for a steering box.

It looks like the welds broke from lack of penetration, but the frame was intact. This is the first second gen SASer I have heard busting the steering box off. Mine has held up great to all sorts of abuse. Was it the welds or did the frame show some sort of weakness too? I agree that frame is soft, but properly sleeved it should hold up perfect.

Rick said:
How was the run on Sunday?
Only 1 truck stuck in the mud up to it's frame for around 20 hours, Josh having to give Jeff the strap, Jeff panicking everytime he was off camber (I never thought I'd see the guy lose control like that - it was scary).
You know - normal stuff.

You didn't miss much. And we realized that at your age wheeling like that would have just put way too much strain on ya. :D

I'll get some of my pics up by tomorrow.

taxxman2k said:
It looks like the welds broke from lack of penetration, but the frame was intact. This is the first second gen SASer I have heard busting the steering box off. Mine has held up great to all sorts of abuse. Was it the welds or did the frame show some sort of weakness too? I agree that frame is soft, but properly sleeved it should hold up perfect.

The frame cracked around the hole and also under the area near the radius of the frame where it goes from verticle to horizontal in the boxed section.

offroadkc said:
And we realized that at your age wheeling like that would have just put way too much strain on ya. :D

:p ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rick said:
The frame cracked around the hole and also under the area near the radius of the frame where it goes from verticle to horizontal in the boxed section.

Ouch. Sounds like where my track bar bracket ripped my frame. Not fun! Glad he was prepaired. Looked like a fun run!

Back