2004 Explorer 4.0 slight ticking noise when at idle. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer 4.0 slight ticking noise when at idle.

Vince Weiss

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
At idle, or when under about 700 rpm, my explorer makes a weird ticking/chattering noise. It sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine so I replaced the idler pulley and tensioner which made no difference. So I was trying to figure out what the noise was and it sounds like it maybe loudest by the intake manifold. This noise goes away once a little gas is given and it doesn't change with the temp of the engine. The engine runs extremely well and had never had any check engine lights also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought I had a ticking issue. Turned out it was the fuel injector solenoids clicking. At idle it sounds like ticking/chatter, but as RPMS increase it smoothes out since the pulses are so close together.

Just a thought...

That makes sense, you are probably absolutely right. Is there any way you can quite the sound?

It's your timing chain tensioner not putting enough tension on the cassette guides. Make sure you keep your oil topped off. Start saving your pennies because it's going to be pricy to fix. I paid about $3500 for labor and my own parts to have a shop fix my timing chains.

Well it seems like my power steering pump pulley is very loose, I took the cerpentine belt of and that pulley has a lot of play, so I will get a new one and see if the noise goes away.

Sry but I have a1998 explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4 and cold starts it chatters till oil pressure picks up ok not the issue the issue is there's a chatter that comes an goes just depends the mood it's in it does it randomly no more when it's hit cold raining don't Make a difference now I can hold the rpms to right above 1000 n it shuts up I've replaced timing tensioners an belt tensioner an water pump even the clutch fan even any ideas it could be ??? Thanks

Back