• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer 4.6L spark plugs.

N1265

Reaction score
City, State
Fremont Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 explorer
So the Dealer wants $392. to change out the spark plugs in my 2004 Explorer 4.6 L with 100k miles.

Needless to say, that's not going to happen.

They confirmed that it is a 2 valve motor, but stated that you needed a "special" thin walled, tapered, spark plug socket to ensure you don't bottom out the socket in the plug well before the plug is actually seated.

I can't seem to find this "special" plug socket on line. Does anybody know what they are talking about ?

They also stated that they need to do an injector flush before removing the old plugs to dislodge any carbon around the old plugs. Is this really nessary ?

Many Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have same engine, same year. I did not use any special socket. It was either a regular spark plug socket or a straight deep well. The tool you have to buy or borrow is a set of locking extensions. Otherwise the socket may hang up on the plug with no easy way to pull it up and out. I found a set a Harbor Freight that work great and the right price.

You will need compressed air to really blow out the spark plug cavity before you remove the plug.

that's a load of crap. tell you what, i'd do it for half that :>) normal harbor freight socket does it for me but a locking extension is almost a must. not a hard job to do. not fun but what the heck? take your time and be damn careful when reinstalling your plugs that you don't crossthread or overtighten them.

When I did all my engine upgrades I went to Advance Auto and spent the money on a GearWrench swivel spark plug socket. It's got a little rubber piece that holds the plug in the socket and helps prevent accidental cross threading. The swivel helps a ton too. That and a couple various extensions and you've got yourself a good 20-30 min project.

Also compressed air really is a must. You'd be amazed at all the sh** that gets caught down in there. Be careful with all your plastic clips as well. They are VERY brittle.

And use Motorcraft plugs too. It really runs best with them.

no special tools required. you need to remove the air intake tube, thats about it. i used a vacuum to clean up the area prior and after each plug was changed. and i used champion iridium 9204's

So the Dealer wants $392. to change out the spark plugs in my 2004 Explorer 4.6 L with 100k miles.

Needless to say, that's not going to happen.

They confirmed that it is a 2 valve motor, but stated that you needed a "special" thin walled, tapered, spark plug socket to ensure you don't bottom out the socket in the plug well before the plug is actually seated.

I can't seem to find this "special" plug socket on line. Does anybody know what they are talking about ?

They also stated that they need to do an injector flush before removing the old plugs to dislodge any carbon around the old plugs. Is this really nessary ?

Many Thanks.

your dealer is full of BS. I just used the gearwrench swivel spark plug socket, it's magnetic and it has rubber inside to hold the plug properly. Both removal and installation using this socket makes the process a walk in the park. I used it on my 98 lincoln continental and 02 lincoln ls as well with no issues.

if you don't have an air compressor buy a can of compressed air to clean the wells.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...192-p?searchTerm=spark+plug+socket#fragment-2

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

Many Thanks for the quick answers...

:)

Back