2004 Explorer blinkers not working properly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer blinkers not working properly

Amy L Campbell

Reaction score
City, State
Yorktown, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004, Explorer XLS, gray
My 2004 Explorer's blinkers have been acting up lately. Sometimes I signal and it just stays solid, sometimes it blinks then goes solid. Any suggestions what this is and what am I looking at to get it fixed or is it something easy a woman can do.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suspect the flasher relay. While it’s quite simple to change, it’s tucked up under the dash and quite difficult to reach.

Doesn’t really matter woman or man, what’s your mechanical ability?

Limited, I can do simple things. I'm a single mom and if I can do it myself and save money I would like to do it myself. I looked on YouTube and that is what I thought was the problem too. If I can't reach I'll just have to have someone do it. Thank you so much.

Does adjusting the tilt on the steering wheel affect the signal performance?

I haven't tried that. The tilt is basically just a slide up and down and I never adjust it.

Almost certaintly the flasher relay. I replaced mine a few months ago. Identical behaviour as yours.. Sometimes would just stay solid, othertimes fine. Its tucked right up under the dash on the topside of the fuse panel. I un-bolted mine (x3 8mm bolts) to access it a little easier. Took me around 30minutes with a flash light in the footwell and some karma sutra positioning :0

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Be sure to get the correct Motorcraft SF633 replacement and not one of them cheap Chinese Novita electronic ones.

OReilly's sells the Motorcraft one but most locations will need 24 hours to get it.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...elays-16479/motorcraft-flasher/sf633/4489789/

You can also buy it at a Ford dealer. I can't imagine anyone charging more than $10-20 to install it, but today's greed surprises me more every day.

Back