2004 Explorer - Crank, No Start Fuel Pump Only Getting 9.5 volts | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer - Crank, No Start Fuel Pump Only Getting 9.5 volts

bajabuggy11

Reaction score
City, State
Clio, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Hi all, first time posting. I have a 2004 explorer 4.0. Just recently it was idling (warming up as i went inside) came back out and the vehicle was off. I tried starting it and it just cranks but doesnt start. nailed it down to a fuel issue. the fuel pump is not turning on.

I first jumped the relay and the fuel pump didnt kick on either, so i changed the fuel pump out and still no joy. Next I found the ground for the fuel pump was bad so i fixed that issue and now I am only getting 9.5 volts to the pump (assume not enough to kick it on). I can apply 12V to the fuel pump and it hums so i know the fuel pump is working. there is 12V at the relay. inertia switch has been checked and isnt triggered or anything. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hi all, first time posting. I have a 2004 explorer 4.0. Just recently it was idling (warming up as i went inside) came back out and the vehicle was off. I tried starting it and it just cranks but doesnt start. nailed it down to a fuel issue. the fuel pump is not turning on.

I first jumped the relay and the fuel pump didnt kick on either, so i changed the fuel pump out and still no joy. Next I found the ground for the fuel pump was bad so i fixed that issue and now I am only getting 9.5 volts to the pump (assume not enough to kick it on). I can apply 12V to the fuel pump and it hums so i know the fuel pump is working. there is 12V at the relay. inertia switch has been checked and isnt triggered or anything. Anyone have any suggestions?
Hi,
Did you ever find a solution? I have odd fuel problems as well! Thanks!

What i found was a couple broken wires on the frame rail so just ran a couple new wires from the fuel pump driver module and it worked fine.

Back