2004 Explorer Front wheel bearing Holy Cow $$$ | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer Front wheel bearing Holy Cow $$$

Joe DeVola

Reaction score
City, State
AtL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
We took my wife's 2004 (rear wheel drive only) to have a front end vibration/noise looked into and the guy called and said: Front wheel bearing. $405 for part only. This is the price for a Temkin, I think, part. Is that what the parts costs for an Explorer front wheel bearing? Holy Cow!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We took my wife's 2004 (rear wheel drive only) to have a front end vibration/noise looked into and the guy called and said: Front wheel bearing. $400 for part only. This is the price for a Temkin, I think, part. Is that what the parts costs for an Explorer front wheel bearing? Holy Cow!!!

Some shops charge you MSRP on parts. But no many places sell parts for MSRP unless you're talking about dealers.. even then there are some who offer much better pricing.

I personally don't like shops that do that. They already get good discounts from most places so they don't "need" to charge that much.

For example, My neighbor is a mechanic and he charges the price the local autoparts stores charge (like Oreilly and Autozone). He gets discounts on the parts from those places and sometimes he will go through a different company but still charge what the local parts stores want. That way when a customer checks they can see he has a fair price and he doesn't have to deal with "install my part" jobs.

~Mark

Some shops charge you MSRP on parts. But no many places sell parts for MSRP unless you're talking about dealers.. even then there are some who offer much better pricing.

I personally don't like shops that do that. They already get good discounts from most places so they don't "need" to charge that much.

For example, My neighbor is a mechanic and he charges the price the local autoparts stores charge (like Oreilly and Autozone). He gets discounts on the parts from those places and sometimes he will go through a different company but still charge what the local parts stores want. That way when a customer checks they can see he has a fair price and he doesn't have to deal with "install my part" jobs.

~Mark

Would you consider the list I was sent, above, MSRP prices?

Would you consider the list I was sent, above, MSRP prices?

I can't see MSRP price from here (I have to be at an Oreilly parts store) BUT even there its listed @ 212 for a Precison brand bearing/hub assembly so it "possible" its $400 msrp for timken.

I found the same part which is $212 at Oreilly for much cheaper at other places...

I was looking at the hub assembly for a 2004 xlt with 4.0 (2wd).

Just to put things in perspective. I just picked up a Rack/Pinion for a 2006 mustang. Oreilly sells it for around $190 but MSRP is listed at > $300.

~Mark

The moog bearing is around $160 at Advance Auto if you can find the right discount code.

I chose to go with the import (read, Chinese) bearings (2004 4X4), $ 52.00 each side, which included a brand new HUB with lug bolts, and a new ABS sensor. Advice here recommended against imports, but so far, I've lucked out, still good after about 40K.

I tore open the bearing from the side making noise: a small pitted area smaller than the bearing roller length had been making noise for about 5,000 miles, gradually worsening. If the image opens, here it is below: imp

wheel_10.jpg

Back