2004 Explorer fuel filter PITA

Welli

Reaction score
City, State
St Louis , Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT AWD
:rolleyes:We all know how PITA is to replace the fuel filter.:rolleyes:

I am contemplating the idea of relocating my fuel filter to the passenger side/firewall engine compartment.
I will also cut off those fittings that require the special tool. I want to use a regular fuel hose with clamps. Has anybody done that ?
Any hints tips or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

80831206.gif

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, no, no, and NO.

Hose and clamps were fine back in the carburetor days, but fuel injection operates at much higher pressures. Hence the positive locking fittings.

It's not hard to switch out, and it's not like you need to do it once a week.

No, no, no, and NO.
Hose and clamps were fine back in the carburetor days, but fuel injection operates at much higher pressures. Hence the positive locking fittings.

It's not hard to switch out, and it's not like you need to do it once a week.

While I will not disagree totally with the "no-no", I'll point out that Ford Parts sells, or sold, for use with EEC-IV systems using return-to-tank type fuel systems, replacement tubing and fittings which were designed to work around the need for the spring-lok type of fitting. I used them with reliable, safe results in doing conversions from carburetted to EFI.

The "returnless" systems now used run even higher fuel pressures than the older return type; therefore, staying away from jury-rigged fuel fittings is a good idea, especially the use of "fuel-injection type rubber hose". imp

While I will not disagree totally with the "no-no", I'll point out that Ford Parts sells, or sold, for use with EEC-IV systems using return-to-tank type fuel systems, replacement tubing and fittings which were designed to work around the need for the spring-lok type of fitting. I used them with reliable, safe results in doing conversions from carburetted to EFI.

The "returnless" systems now used run even higher fuel pressures than the older return type; therefore, staying away from jury-rigged fuel fittings is a good idea, especially the use of "fuel-injection type rubber hose". imp

And what type of fuel system does his 04 have? That's why I didn't bring up return type systems.

You mentioning it adds nothing to this thread, or in any way changes what I said.

i get your idea but dont think it is worth the trouble. the fuel filter is in a tight spot, but not too tough.

IF you were to do this, make sure you get high pressure fuel line. In my other car back in the day I ran some high pressure hose and worm clamps. It held up to 100 psi and didnt leak. But I wouldnt recommend doing that again.

Thanks for the advise. I will leave it alone.
Although I think Ford Engineers should thought of a better place and type of fittings for this filter.

And what type of fuel system does his 04 have? That's why I didn't bring up return type systems.

You mentioning it adds nothing to this thread, or in any way changes what I said.

Temper, temper! While I respect your opinion, and granted, we should not advise the unqualified to enter into doing work which might endanger them, I felt my post DID add to the thread in that it SHOWED that Ford had made provision in it's repair procedures to allow work similar to that which the thread-writer was proposing.

Since we have no way of judging a given poster's abilities, we should not limit offering of suggestions which might be beneficial to those able to use them successfully, don't you think? imp

Edit: IMO, 45 psi or so of gasoline pressure with return-type fuel systems can and will "fry" you just as readily as the 60 psi or so of the "returnless" system.

Back