• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer OBD Connection?

Joe DeVola

Reaction score
City, State
AtL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLT
Is the OBD connector near the parking brake inside that white cover with a 10mm nut on it? Do you back off that nut and "unclip" the cover? It looks like it might have two covers that "unclip". Am I wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The OBD port is right by the parking brake release.

Is it open-ended like all other connection points I've ever seen or does it have a snap cover over it?

See the light blue piece to the lower left, it's the back end of the OBD2 port. Just above the parking brake handle as mention. The kick panel is removed in this photo.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 3,169

No cover.

Is the OBD connector near the parking brake inside that white cover with a 10mm nut on it? Do you back off that nut and "unclip" the cover? It looks like it might have two covers that "unclip". Am I wrong?
I have a 2004 Explorer. I mistakenly thought the white box under the dash was the cover for the OBD port. I loosened the 10mm bolt several turns but it didn't seem to want to loosen. I re-tightened the bolt but not enough. The result was I only had a partial electrical connection to the DCM circuit. At that point the engine did not start, no dash lights, etc. $360 later a mobile electric mechanic discovered the problem.

Back