2004 explorer P0193 stalling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 explorer P0193 stalling

salty7

Reaction score
have a 2004 xlt with 95k that has started to intermittenly stall. mostly while going slow, starting from a stop sign, but sometimes at 30mph+. starting to become more frequent. I think it started having stalling issues when in reverse and backing out of driveway. usually starts right back up. but last time it was a little hard.

anyway, no one is really sure of the issue. 2 mechanics did see P0193 and say they are 80% sure it's fuel rail pressure sensor. held off, but now are going to do it (replace).

anyone experience these symptoms and replacing this sensor fixed it? we started thinking it was transmission because that's always been "clunky" and awkward on this vehicle anyway....but with the P0193 i guess it is fuel related???

thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the exact same issue on my 2004 Explorer and changing the fuel rail pressure sensor did the trick. Now it runs great again!

Same code, no symptoms (yet)

'04 Explorer, 122K. P0193 came up a few months ago, while we were 1500 miles from home. Inquired locally, AutoZone had no clue about Fuel Rail Pressure and Temperature Sensor at all. O'Reilly had a listing for it, but his warehouse showed no stock. I erased the code, and got no recurrence for days. Then again, P0193. Anyhow, we drove the vehicle back to MO from AZ in May, now the code has become more insistent, comes up every hundred miles or so. There have been absolutely no detectable symptoms ever, to indicate a fuel pressure problem.

I bought the new sensor from NAPA, and it's replacement is now on the "to do" list. My big concern has been that with the returnless fuel system, that sensor is responsible for telling the PCM how fast the fuel pump ought to be running, at all times! So, a potential "dead in the water" would seem completely possible, to me.

I'll report back after the job is done. imp

I just had the fuel rail pressure sensor replaced on my 04 Ex about a month ago. It took care of the "Service Engine Soon" light. The weird thing is mine had no stalling problems or anything. I had the code cleared but 2 days later it reappeared. I guess it is very common on the 04 4.0 V6 engines. Mine only has 81k too, runs great now so i'm happy!

P0193

Mine ran fine for many months after getting this code. Initially, the Service light would even turn off for periods. However, the light started to come on more frequently, and after almost a year since the first code, it stalled on me. It did fire right back up. However, knowing that may not be the case the next time, I decided to replace the senor.

got a couple emails for replies to this thread...thought i should update...replacing the fuel sensor did fix the problem.

:Dnow onto the many others with this model...clunky transmission, paint on top peeling, cracked tailgate, running board that fell off, blinker relay failure...

have a 2004 xlt with 95k that has started to intermittenly stall. mostly while going slow, starting from a stop sign, but sometimes at 30mph+. starting to become more frequent. I think it started having stalling issues when in reverse and backing out of driveway. usually starts right back up. but last time it was a little hard.

anyway, no one is really sure of the issue. 2 mechanics did see P0193 and say they are 80% sure it's fuel rail pressure sensor. held off, but now are going to do it (replace).

anyone experience these symptoms and replacing this sensor fixed it? we started thinking it was transmission because that's always been "clunky" and awkward on this vehicle anyway....but with the P0193 i guess it is fuel related???

i have had the same, issue and eas told that it was the fuel pressure sensor. got it replaced and it has fixed the problem...

@Godzoo First Sensor from NAPA lasted less than a year, then P0193 again. By then I was living elsewhere, and bought another from O'Reilly Auto. Fixed. About 30K since, no trouble. imp

I know this is a old post but I thought I would give my two cents worth. I also got the P0193 on my 04 EX with the 4.0. No stalling problems. It's the middle of winter here in MN and with cold temps and winter gas could not really tell if it affected gas mileage or not. So I watched several you tube videos on how to do it and started to price out the parts. I checked the dealer and list price was about $170 but if you mention I would like the internet price it dropped to about $95. I then checked Rock Auto and Amazon. Amazon had the OEM part for $75 and with the other gaskets you need it came to about $100. So I ordered the parts and waited for a break in the weather. 3 hours under the hood and it was done. Which I felt was pretty good since I'm not a mechanic and the you tube videos stated to expect it to take about an afternoon worth of your time.

If I have to get a sensor or other electronics part locally I gravitate towards Autozone. IME a lot of their stuff is reboxed Bosch which is actually OEM for some parts. Most other stores just carry the cheap BWD/SMP, or even worse, DORMAN (inc NAPA). Either way it's like playing secret Santa with Chinese knockoffs. I hate BOSCH's O2's and spark plugs but for most other electrical items it's worth a little extra premium not having to buy a part twice.

Back