2004 Explorer Sport Trac - Slow Fuel Fill [SOLVED] | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer Sport Trac - Slow Fuel Fill [SOLVED]

Art Mann

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac
2004 Explorer Sport Trac - Slow Fuel Fill [SOLVED]

I finally found the problem with the slow fill problem after many hours of tracking and backtracking. The issue was in the fuel filler neck. I had earlier scoped the neck and screen with a fiber optic scope, and it looked clean. Because of that I started in on all the air vent lines, based on the info on the forum about how the vent lines and the charcoal canister can get plugged up and prevent venting

After finding all the fittings at the rear, and at the front (by the fuel filter) and disconnecting them and blowing them with compressed air, and finding them all to be clear, I took another look at the filler pipe. Recall from an earlier post, that I had previously blown air, and flowed water from a hose thru the fuel filler, and it all flowed fine.

Stumped I took the fuel filler neck out (again - arrrg :mad:), and went to the gas station and tried to pump gas thru the pipe and into a gas can. No Joy - It spewed back just like it did when trying to fill the tank. :(

I then tore the internal screen out of the system with my needle nose vise grips, because I was not going to let this thing be the boss of me. [Yeah right, that is what I said before every different approach over the last 3 days]. Put the gas pump onto it and it flowed just fine!:)

Anyway, on inspection closely, I found that that screen was clogged - not with rust or easy to see stuff - but clogged by a fine almost transparent sticky film of what looked like thin saran wrap.:eek: [ see images] I surmised this to be some kind of biofilm, and I could not see it until I ripped the screen(s) out. [There is a top screen and then a cone shaped screen in the retainer ring that holds the screen assembly.] It also looks like there is fine hairs clogging the system - almost like fur.

Problem solved - all put back together. Got a new filler pipe on the way and got all the air vent hoses reattached.

2019_10_06_49991.JPG

2019_10_06_49992.JPG

2019_10_06_49993.JPG

2019_10_06_49994.JPG

2019_10_06_49995.JPG

2019_10_06_49996.JPG

2019_10_06_49997.JPG

2019_10_06_49998.JPG

2019_10_06_49999.JPG

2019_10_06_50000.JPG

2019_10_06_50001.JPG

2019_10_06_50002.JPG

2019_10_06_50007.JPG

Good catch Art. I have been having the same issue with my 2005 Sport Trac. So far either no time or just the thought of wrestling with the old dry/hard hose leading the gas tank. Mine doesn't splash back just very slow fill. I think to get my fill pipe out so I can look at it will require me cutting the rubber hose in half then finding a replacement hose.

Good catch Art. I have been having the same issue with my 2005 Sport Trac. So far either no time or just the thought of wrestling with the old dry/hard hose leading the gas tank. Mine doesn't splash back just very slow fill. I think to get my fill pipe out so I can look at it will require me cutting the rubber hose in half then finding a replacement hose.
The place where the hose connects to the gas tank filler extension down underneath the car is sometimes hard to break free. You have to grab the hose and twist it after removing the hose clamp. Then you have to pry on the hose up to get it to break free and twist and Pull and squeeze the hose until you get it off. After that it is a lot easier. There is a static electricity cable attached with a hose clamp to the upper part of the filler neck that you can get with a nut driver from underneath the left driver side rear wheel well after you remove the three screws that hold the filler neck on the body itself up where you actually feel the fuel into the tank near the gas cap .The vent hose from the charcoal canister is not hard to remove and once you know ow to squeeze on the gray and on the blue part of the connector fittings up underneath the car right near the place where the rubber hose enters the actual fuel tank things come apart pretty easily it got really easy after about the 10th time I did it. I did not know how to do it before. Be sure to remove your rear tire. Leaving the rear tire in there makes it practically impossible to get to things.

If you want to go further with this I can attach more photos of the filler neck and the various lines. Just let me know.

Back