2004 Explorer V6 Replace Radiator Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer V6 Replace Radiator Question

mbellaire

Reaction score
City, State
SE Michigan
The radiator in my 2004 V6 Explorer needs to be changed, I have reviewed the Ford instructions and the process seems pretty straightforward. However, I have a question about the process. The steps say that the transmission cooler lines must be disconnected so the cooler and radiator can come out as a unit. Is this necessary, or can the trans cooler be disconnected from the radiator "assembly" (leaving the lines attached) while still in the vehicle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You want to disconnect those with the special tool. Its a PAIN to do it without.

When the lines are disconnected will the fluid "gush" out, or just drip out?

more like whats in the cooler, and some in the lines drain out, you wont get sprayed with it.

you dont want to remove the big fittings from the radiator since that will drop the cooler in the radiator making it a pain to get back in.

I was in the same boat as you, i didnt want to mess with ATF getting all over the place so i just took off the 4 bolts connecting the cooler to the radiator. I believe they are 8mm nuts

Back