2004 Explorer with 7.3 Powerstroke Swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Explorer with 7.3 Powerstroke Swap

I’ve built and enjoyed it long enough, I’m about to sell it, what are your questions!!

2003 f550 powerstroke with a 4R100
G89NQ6n.jpg

qXitQuW.jpg

WgSolUN.jpg

3UHp6YH.jpg

5YXskjU.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow is all I have to say. I see no heater hooked up though.

Couldn't fit an intercooler either? Still sweet though!!

holy crap balls!
I own 3ea 7.3 trucks I love them very much.
Kudos to you for stuffing one into a Gen III sploder!!
No heater box, no intercooler
I see bellowed up pipes, was that a E99 turbo setup on the 03 engine?

How does the rear IRS hold up? Any pics of the undercarriage?
I bet its a friggin blast to drive!!

Thanks for sharing and making my Monday morning!!!

Heater is there and functioning I have the two hoses sitting here ready to put on, but it’s not that cold here yet. Also, when it was 100° outside I couldn’t get the engine over 190° with no fans hooked up (they’re mounted but disconnected/doesn’t need them) so it’ll have to have the whole radiator blocked to probably get heat or above 200° lol!

The air conditioning is there, but it’s for the “next guy” if he wants to put it on. I deleted the rear HAVC stuff for weight and the headliner was sagging so I filled all that stuff in when I put the new headliner in. But the front HVAC runs through the center column so the rear passengers can still get some air!

It’s a 2003 F-series motor and turbo (larger), but it just has the E-series cold side intake so I didn’t have to intercool it. Plenty of room to run an eco boost front mount but it definitely doesn’t need to be intercooled at all.

All structures are holding up great! They’re fully boxed, double welded frames (from the factory) I didn’t have to cut a SINGLE thing. And it weighs about 400 more pounds than a 4.6 4wd and it rides amazing!

Lol, yeah I posted a lot of stuff about it a few months ago but no one seemed interested??

I musta missed it I don't go to the Gen III stuff much because I still work on the old gen I and gen II trucks
Putting a 7.3 into a sploder is wicked cool no matter what!
Thanks for answering the questions!

Estimated Fuel economy?

I did a 118 mile power tour about a month ago and I filled up at the start and stop and I put 5.8 gallons in it and that was me driving like an ass hat, playing around the whole time have fun messing with everyone. It did 20mpg then, so driving like Beto, i would hope it could do 25+ no problem?

how many miles on truck?
How many on the 03 engine/trans?
Was anything done to the springs/suspension to handle the extra weight of the larger diesel drivetrain?

truck is immaculate! Well done....

how many miles on truck?
How many on the 03 engine/trans?
Was anything done to the springs/suspension to handle the extra weight of the larger diesel drivetrain?

truck is immaculate! Well done....

164k on the Ex (body)
277k on the powerstroke (about 130k on the tranny)
Didn’t do one thing to the front end at all, springs, body, cut/add anything (except a 3” body lift). I did take everything that wasn’t needed off the nose and mounted it elsewhere. The whole setup only weighs 400lbs more than a 4.6 4wd.

164k on the Ex (body)
277k on the powerstroke (about 130k on the tranny)
Didn’t do one thing to the front end at all, springs, body, cut/add anything (except a 3” body lift). I did take everything that wasn’t needed off the nose and mounted it elsewhere. The whole setup only weighs 400lbs more than a 4.6 4wd.
Absolutely incredible build bro. Question, where did you get those tow mirrors?! I love the look of those! What were they originally off of?

@Ex-cursion Did you retain the GEM and PATS moduals from the explorer and mate them to the PCM of the 7.3? Where did you relocate the radiator to get enough airflow without needing to hook up the fans? And have you sold the rig yet? What are you asking for it? Thanks in advance!

@Ex-cursion Did you retain the GEM and PATS moduals from the explorer and mate them to the PCM of the 7.3? Where did you relocate the radiator to get enough airflow without needing to hook up the fans? And have you sold the rig yet? What are you asking for it? Thanks in advance!
Absolutely incredible build bro. Question, where did you get those tow mirrors?! I love the look of those! What were they originally off of?
The tow mirrors were just chevy 2500 mirrors off eBay with very little modification.

PATS is still the same, it’s still the explorer key, just pretending like nothing is wrong, starter wire is on the 7.3 now instead of the 4.0.

the radiator is in the same place, I just deleted the condenser. It’s a toy so I (personally) do not need AC. But with it being a diesel and not carrying much weight, it doesn’t get hot at all, I had to put cardboard over 80% of the radiator in the winter to get it up to 200°

When I listed it, everyone thought it was cool, but no one really wanted to buy it, so I still have it.

The tow mirrors were just chevy 2500 mirrors off eBay with very little modification.

PATS is still the same, it’s still the explorer key, just pretending like nothing is wrong, starter wire is on the 7.3 now instead of the 4.0.

the radiator is in the same place, I just deleted the condenser. It’s a toy so I (personally) do not need AC. But with it being a diesel and not carrying much weight, it doesn’t get hot at all, I had to put cardboard over 80% of the radiator in the winter to get it up to 200°

When I listed it, everyone thought it was cool, but no one really wanted to buy it, so I still have it.
How much do you want for it bud. I actually have 3 7.3s and 2 explorers 1 4.6 and 1 4.0. I would like to pick your brain on the build too. My 4.0 already has the lift

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hard to buy it if you won't tell what you want for it. If this is still around I'm looking to build a new recovery rig and been wanting to do a gen 3 4x4 front and rear sas with lockers. This seems like a good place to start.

Back