2004 explorers idle and stall problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 explorers idle and stall problems

Tammy farrell

Reaction score
City, State
Calhoun, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Need help !!! My explorer acts like it has breathing problems! You start it up and starts fine, but sometimes it idles good and sometimes it acts like is got a cough lol. Sometimes it stalls if I come to complete stop, but will always start right up. Yesterday was at a stop sign, it died, but started right up only when I went to take off, it was cutting out on me where I had to pull into nearest parking lot. Didn't know whay to do, so just turned vehicle off and let it sit. Took my chances and drive home. Every time I stopped at red light or stop sign, I kept my foot on gas to keep it idling. This morning it was having trouble staying idling but later today no problems. What is it? I need suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

moving this to a more appropriate place.

I have a 2004 ford explorer that won't stay idling most of time. The rpms drop so low it will stall, but starts right up Every time. It doesn't do it all the time but is getting worse. Have already changed gas and put fuel treatment in it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Hi , you ever find out what problem was ? Im having same problem.

What engine do you have ?

Nobody in this thread mentions which motor they have.

I believe that 2004 is the first year of throttle by wire, so idle control is done by the PCM (computer).

Are there any trouble codes?

Ok sorry I'm unknowingly on the wrong forum anyways

If I knew witch engine I could be of some help
Sounds fuel pump systems to me
Or dirty TB iac

Nobody in this thread mentions which motor they have.

I believe that 2004 is the first year of throttle by wire, so idle control is done by the PCM (computer).

Are there any trouble codes?
A quick 2second search told me ford offered v8 4.6 v6 4.0
Knowing which engine would help
And even fly by wire still has a butterfly

A quick 2second search told me ford offered v8 4.6 v6 4.0
Knowing which engine would help
And even fly by wire still has a butterfly
Those engine choices were available for the entire 3rd Gen line regardless.

If it was an earlier model there would be an Idle Air Control Motor, which is usually the culprit on a strong running motor (neither poster mentions DTCs) that will not idle well.

With drive (throttle) by wire the PCM is controlling idle based on engine sensor data, a simple PCM reset could smooth things out.

Of course there is a “butterfly” or throttle plate in the throttle body, regardless of if it is controlled by PCM or not, not sure why you stated that.

There could be a multitude of issues here..... vacuum leaks, PVC problems, dirty fuel filter, etc.

Of course there is a “butterfly” or throttle plate in the throttle body, regardless of if it is controlled by PCM or not, not sure why you stated that.
Cleaning it

Cleaning it
I’d me more inclined to think of a dirty MAF sensor. They are sensitive to contaminates that might get past an air filter.

There shouldn’t really be any buildup on the throttle plates but it doesn’t hurt to check. There is only air passing over them, so no carbon fouling or varnishing like a carburetor would.

Simplest thing to try is a PCM reset. Disconnect both battery terminals from the battery, then connect those terminals together for 10 min or so to drain the PCM capacitors.

If you have the 4.6l and you disconnected the battery recently, it’s the throttle body.

Make sure you clean it as shown in this video:

If you have the 4.0, you most likely have another issue.

If you have the 4.6l and you disconnected the battery recently, it’s the throttle body.

Make sure you clean it as shown in this video:

If you have the 4.0, you most likely have another issue.

I cleaned this on my 04 V6 4.0, cant find leaks, changed PCV Valve, air/oil filters changed, top w good gas, gas treatments,plugs and wires. Its better but still low idle only at a stop bc the thing has balls and drives wonderful. Codes were only P0171 and I had mechanic clear it after I took 3 days to do the PCV valve, which there is oil all over in that area.:dunno:

Back