2004 F150 SuperCrew FX4 - Opinions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 F150 SuperCrew FX4 - Opinions

LBarr2002

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Leesville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT 4x4, '92 XLT 4x4
The background: I've been kinda looking for a truck on and off for a while now. I have access to a '96 K1500 (my dad's) that I use to pull my X every once in a while, but it doesn't do a great job. I've been looking at F-250's, Chevy 2500 HD's, 4 door, 4x4.

I saw an '04 F150 today for sale by the road and it got me thinking. I've got two friends with F150 4-door 4x4's, one an '06 and one an '07. They are nice trucks. The '07 pulls a dual axle enclosed trailers and smaller CAT equipment trailers all the time. Those of you that have a similar truck, would it be sufficient for me pulling my 19' flatbed trailer with the 4000+ lb explorer on it?

The one I saw is overpriced ($15,200 w/ 103,000 miles). KBB and Edmunds puts it around $12,000. Also, is there anything I should be careful of with 100,000 miles? Maintence? Are there timing belt tensioner issues like with the 4.0 SOHC motors?

Please give me your opinions and what you think these trucks are worth.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Come on, I know some of you have these trucks... How well do they tow and what are they worth used?

My dad has an 05 F150 Supercab with the 5.4 in it. I've used it to tow my 18' trailer and T-Bird on. I would guess the car weighs 3500lbs or so. I wouldn't say it does a fantastic job, but its not bad either. I've towed the car from Omaha to KC (200 miles or so) and back and except for some of the bigger hills, I didn't have any problem keeping speed.

If it's got the towing package and is a 5.4L, I don't see why you'd have any problem towing your Explorer. As far as what they are worth and maintenance, I'm not sure. I had a 00 F150 and never had any problems with it for the 50k miles I owned it.

-Melon

mynameisAric has a 05? F-150 with the 5.4 that he uses to pull his trailer/x, says it does fine. I'll be pulling mine with an 06 Mountaineer with the 4.6

My g/f's mom's 2000 F150 with the 5.4L can pull a heavy horse trailer and 4500 pounds of horses, but it does not like it, and really hated it on hills. On another note, all her dad's F250s with either the V10 or turbo diesels had no problem.

I'm really concerned about any maintence issues once you get around that 100,000 mile mark. I don't know anything about the ford OHC motors, the transmissions, etc. I know a 250/2500 truck would tow better, but I was thinking an F-150 would be easier to drive to work if I needed to or run to the store and not have to worry about parking.

I tow mine with my '05 SCrew 4x2. I hand picked my truck, and is rated the highest for weight in this config. 5.4, Auto, 3.73ls. Rated for 9500lbs towing. I also have added a Gibson cat back, K&N, and Edge programer. This made a huge differance. :thumbsup: She tows great, plenty of power even on hills and the milage you can't beat. I get 14mpg pulling about 7000lbs with the truck and trailer.:D

Trailer5.jpg

Tow.jpg

This is what it looks like now with Custom painted wheels, HD Headlights and FX4 coilover (leveling kit of sorts)

FX4_Susp.jpg

After150.jpg

That's what I was looking for. It does everything you need it to do towing wise... How many miles is on yours and have you had any big repairs?

I have an '05 SCrew Lariat 4x4 with the 5.4 and the towing package that has worked very well. Had some minor issues under warranty, but none since. Biggest issue is the spark plugs. Ford used a brain dead design that makes them EXTREMELY difficult to change (and the recommended interval is 100k....) without breaking them off. They carbon up, and then don't want to come out of the heads. There is a TSB on how to pull them, and running a can of SeaFoam through before the change is also recommended (Just talked to my service manager about that) to help loosen the carbon before attempting to pull the plugs.

If the truck is at a dealership, have them change the plugs before you buy it (and make sure they really do change them!)

As for towing, mine is fantastic. I tow our '66 Mustang on a trailer with absolutely no problems. Good power, good handling with the trailer, etc. I'm quite pleased. I've also carried about 4k lbs of bricks in the bed with no issues....

4156f150.jpg

Like Draper said...the big thing is the plugs:( I'm still on the originals and dread that day. I heard Ford charges a stupid amount to change them. But I still think the earlier 5.4 (pre-04) were worse. My dad's and Uncles F-250 had to have the whole head replaced, because the spark plug shot it self out of the block:(

other then that...no problems. I have had mine a little over a year and it has 48k on it.

I have heard of a few Trans issues with the F-150 too.

O...I had a few front wheel studs break off :mad:

The one I looked at is private seller, and like I said its overpriced. I haven't decided if I want to try to talk the guy down or just look for another.

Back