2004 Ford Explorer No crank/no start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Ford Explorer No crank/no start

danatbud

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
Let me start by saying hello to the forum and thanks for the all the information I've already gained by searching and reading.

Now for my problem. :) My explorer shut down while driving last weekend. It wouldn't even turn over so I had it towed home. Once I got it home, I charged and tested my battery, it's good. So I start to trouble shoot the no crank situation first in hopes that along the way I'll find whatever caused it to shut down. Here's what I've found so far. I checked the fuses for the ignition circuit and they're good. I checked the fuse for the starter relay under the dash and it's good. When I turn the ignition switch to the start position, the fuse for the starter relay is energized. I checked the starter relay and the relay is good (clicks and ohms when engaged). However, the relay doesn't engage when I turn the ignition. When I jump across the starter circuit at the relay panel, the starter engages. The engine doesn't start. I'm thinking one problem has to be the transmission range sensor. So I check it and it's adjusted correctly. I just bought a new range sensor and installed it. Still no crank from the ignition switch.

What am I missing? Probably something simple, but I'm so brain fried from chasing through the starting circuit I don't know what it is.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Dan

This probably has nothing to do with nothing but some have observed weird electrical issues because of it: READ THIS THREAD - CLICK

You didn't post your vehicle specs so some folks will want to see them before trying to figure out how to help you.

It's a 2004 Ford Explorer V6 Flex Fual 4 wheel drive.

Let me start by saying hello to the forum and thanks for the all the information I've already gained by searching and reading.

Now for my problem. :) My explorer shut down while driving last weekend. It wouldn't even turn over so I had it towed home. Once I got it home, I charged and tested my battery, it's good. So I start to trouble shoot the no crank situation first in hopes that along the way I'll find whatever caused it to shut down. Here's what I've found so far. I checked the fuses for the ignition circuit and they're good. I checked the fuse for the starter relay under the dash and it's good. When I turn the ignition switch to the start position, the fuse for the starter relay is energized. I checked the starter relay and the relay is good (clicks and ohms when engaged). However, the relay doesn't engage when I turn the ignition. When I jump across the starter circuit at the relay panel, the starter engages. The engine doesn't start. I'm thinking one problem has to be the transmission range sensor. So I check it and it's adjusted correctly. I just bought a new range sensor and installed it. Still no crank from the ignition switch.

What am I missing? Probably something simple, but I'm so brain fried from chasing through the starting circuit I don't know what it is.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Dan
I was just in same situation broke down on side road stuck in my truck for 2 days.. That box was coming unplugged so it didn't have connection..Good Luck

Back