2004 Ford Explorer Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Any tips on replacing the blower motor resistor on XLT 4 WD

• I did it - it wasn't too bad and worth the effort to save the mechanic fee.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Replaced mine with frustration greater time than anticipated but would rather pay mechanic.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Marc Fountain

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Sport Trac
I have my XLT 4 WD since it was brand new with 6 miles on it. It now has 220,000 and has been through a lot- although for the most part sill looks pretty good. It's been through several wrecks - been put back together several times. The original engine blew at about 150,000 - both of the front wheel bearings have had to be replaced. And as of October 2015 was having noticeable issues with the timing chain. We basically parked it in the drive except for "must drive" situations and took public transportation until we could afford the $1,800 repair bill which included a new water pump. Only 2 days after getting it back - it would not turn over, replaced the dead battery and discovered the alternator was bad, after replacing that - some problems in the electrical system were discovered and fixed - another $300 repair bill.

My next tasks are to replace the blower motor resistor as it only operates on high. I've already bought the part on line and hoping I can install it myself. The cruise control hasn't worked in several years - and for awhile worked on occasion - always a matter of crossing your fingers and hoping it would engage - researched that issue and think i know what i need. And thanks to someone trying to get into the truck after locking the keys inside, has messed up the rubber seal around the sunroof - having trouble locating the correct part from online searches.

And finally not important - but it bugs the heck out of me - the outside ambient temperature display - is no where close to accurate - for several years it has shown for example "70" degrees on the display when driving through snow and slush - it clearly was not "70" - have researched that one as well. Oh forgot the Key-less entry keypad hasn't functioned in several years. Now after documenting all this - starting to think I got a lemon. LOL HELP!!!!

Back