2004 Ford Explorer xls needs catalytic converters? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Ford Explorer xls needs catalytic converters?

Dan9812

Reaction score
City, State
Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
I took my explorer to the Ford dealership because it was getting worse then usual fuel mileage for a few months and kind of a weird noise from the motor. They told me to replace the catalytic converters, all of them. Once that was done then they could try to find out what caused them to go bad. I don't have a check engine light on, but do have some hestitations some times. I hooked up my code reader, which I got after I went to the dealership, and it gave me a few codes. Most of them were random misfires on about 5 cyclinders, and another 1 for I believe a misfire in the first 1000 revolutions or something along those lines. So Im just wondering if anyone else has seen this. I hate to waste 500.00 on replacing the cats and them not be bad. Any info is appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When is the last time you had a tune up? i would say take care of the miss fire problem before you deal with the exhaust.. I also have an 04 xlt and i believe you do not have coil packs so i would start by replacing your plugs and wires and check all your cylinders for spark... clear codes dive and see if that solves your problem

that's a bad dealership, the first thing you avoid is replacing the cats initially because it will go bad again if things aren't fixed. The cats go bad because of those misfires, if you are having those misfires for a long time then that could happen.

check or replace the plugs and cops first, if the misfire still happens then it could be the injectors (either clean or replace) A fuel injection cleaner helps.

----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

exclamada u said check and replace the cops? Whats this. What I took from the dealership was that all these cyclinders misfiring at the same time was due to the cat or cats being plugged, but something must have made them go bad, so I don't know, would much rather put new plugs in, I put good plugs in about 3.5-4 years ago, or say 50000 miles ago, I think bosch platinum, but I don't think I did the wires. We always used to hear a chirping noise to so I am starting to wonder if I should check the cam shaft position sensor, or the crankshaft itself, I may have those backwards, Im going off threads I read last night about the chirping noises

Coil on a plug (COP) or Ignition Coils. They are the ones on top of the spark plug. Normally they will generate a misfire code if bad. I'd stick with Motorcraft plugs.
Do that first and see if the codes clear.

I have a lincoln ls that has that same issue with the COPs, replacing them is not difficult.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...899049.-2207520000.1389883240.&type=3&theater

----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

Oh I see now, I don't have those, just wires and coil packs

Back