2004 Ford Freestar Issues, blah!

willzilla

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT AWD
Anyone familiar with the 2004 Ford Freestar (3.9l w/auto transmission)?

Has been one issue after another lately!

First... EGR issues and I got an EGR code.. then idle started acting ****ty and the car would die trying to idle... Found a hole in the PCV valve hose.

So.. I installed a brand new EGR valve, PCV valve, and PCV valve hose.

Cleared up a bunch of the old codes but now... I get some "maybe" related "maybe" non-related issues... Car idles better now and does not die BUT it kind of stutters on take off and such.

After driving for a few minutes the "transaxle" light comes on and flashes continuously until I shut the car down and start her back up.. Light is gone until I begin to drive some more and it pops back up... After a little while check engine light also comes on and stays on for good (unless your clear the code or whatever).

Anyways... I now "only" have 2 codes, they are:

P0193 - "Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit High Input"
P0741 - "Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or Stuck Off"

I also randomly get chassic power high flashnig on my aftermarket radio and it shuts itself off...

IDEAS???

Thank you!:roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am thinking of changing out the TCC solenoid, dumping the tranny fluid, cleaning the transmission pan magnet, new filter, and new transmission fluid for the transmission issue... Still need to figure out the fuel rail pressure problem. Ugh.

What are your thoughts on this being a wiring issue of some kind?

Maybe a voltage regulator gone bad? Whats the chassis voltage when the motors running? Im thinking that your radio might be giving a clue as to a power issue causing other issues.

I think we should be seeing 13.8v between ground and positive at the battery.

Sorry, not familiar with the vehicle, just throwing thoughts out there since your not getting much else back from members.

Thanks for the info.. I was thinking voltage regulator but wasn't sure lol.. No MM to check voltages.. Need to get one.. Also it appears the voltage regulator on the freestar is internal to the alternator so I will have it checked at an autozone or something.

Thank you!

Its tough to say if the faults you are seeing are all related to the same thing, but its probably best to start with the easiest stuff.

Yeah, def. Would be EXTREMELY happy if it was just a bad voltage regulator in the alternator.. I can find replacement alternators for around $100 with no core charge on rockauto... MUCH better than a tranny rebuild or some such, lol.

Well... Alternator/battery/charging system all checked good at autozone... Arg! Lol.

Think it showed around 13.7V at idle.

****ty.

Sounds like the issues you are having are seperate issues. That blows.
Im no help to you.

I'm now thinking possibly a bad ground or something... Going to order a MM from amazon and scope around when I get some free time to do so! :D

Found a pretty nice DMM on amazon for $25 w/free prime shipping. Had great reviews, so, should have it tomorrow so I can start working on some more in depth troubleshooting with my shop manual as a resource.

Back