2004 Front Differential | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Front Differential

04ExplorerLTD

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer LTD
Hi Everyone New to forums,

I have a 2004 Explorer Limited and the front differential is leaking from the vent tube says the dealer does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening?

any input would be great :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Vent tube or axle tube? If its the vent the diff could be overfilled or the rubber vent line could have become disconnected from the top of the diff. If its the axle tube its probably the axle seal

The Ford dealer said it's the vent tube they wanted like $800 to tell me whats wrong

My '97 used to do that, until I changed out the gear oil. I don't know why, but it was puking out the atmo end.

The vent is located on the top of the diff. Check to make sure it is not blocked and that its firmly attached to the housing

Do you have a picture of were it is i just looked under the truck and the dif's covered in fluid to the point there is a small puddle on top of it.

I think the hose might not be on but can't see any hose hooked up to it

Could the car wash undercarriage pressure knocked it off?

I'm fairly certain the front diff vent tube, exits near the top of the driver side strut mount. I don't have a picture but it is an obvious tube with a plastic vent cap on mine.

hRZwVhp.jpg

Back