2004 Limited: Random chirp from under hood | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Limited: Random chirp from under hood

pet575

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Limited
Single chirp from under the hood that appears to be completely random.

Occurs whether I'm running full blast heat in the vehicle or full blast A/C.

Occurs whether I'm idling in the garage or moving at slower city speeds and have the windows down to where I can hear it.

I'm thinking it is the fan clutch. Not noticeable changes in engine temp by the needle gauge on the dash.

Agree or disagree?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With just a single, random chirp though? Seems like a pulley bearing would have more consistency to it. I've had those types of bearings go before and they usually get worse, louder, more frequent over a short amount of time.

With just a single, random chirp though? Seems like a pulley bearing would have more consistency to it. I've had those types of bearings go before and they usually get worse, louder, more frequent over a short amount of time.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Check the serpentine belt. They make chirping noises when the ribs get cracked or when they get wet, especially from anti freeze.

The clutch on my A/C compressor does that very thing. Might bewhat you are hearing also.

Wouldn't that be the case only with the AC on, though? That clutch shouldn't engage if the AC is not on, right? Only asking because this noise happens regardless of whether I have the AC on.

Take the belt off and turn each pulley by hand, and see which one talks back.

I have a whining noise in my v8 03 xlt. There is a pulley (lowest) to the right of the water pump and left of the the Power Steering pulley, I can wiggle the pulley so my suspicion is this is the problem part. Is this the idler pulley?

You'll have to track down your serpentine belt diagram. Look for a sticker under your hood somewhere. Here a bunch here.

Idlers typically act on the un-ribbed side of the belt and have a smooth surface. There may be moree than one. The tensioner is usually ribbed and attached to a lever with a rotational spring. Neither should wiggle. They are inexpensive and easy to replace.

Belt and lower ribbed idler pulley on. whine still present. Power steering pump is my suspicion. PITA to replace from what i can tell. going to live with the whine for now.

Single chirp from under the hood that appears to be completely random.

Occurs whether I'm running full blast heat in the vehicle or full blast A/C.

Occurs whether I'm idling in the garage or moving at slower city speeds and have the windows down to where I can hear it.

I'm thinking it is the fan clutch. Not noticeable changes in engine temp by the needle gauge on the dash.

Agree or disagree?

I usually only get the random chirp while the AC is running. If you have the heat set to defrost, it will kick on the AC compressor to help with the defrosting process, which will kick on the AC compressor so that may be why your also hearing it when the heat is on.

I've attributed mine to the crank pulley. I seem to recall reading that there is someway for the ribbed pulley to seperate from the crankshat itself and cause problems. I'm thinking when the AC compressor kicks on, it loads the crankshaft pulley (as well as other tensioners) and causes the random chirp.

But it's definetely a chirp, not a squeal or grinding noise that a typical tensioner pulley would make on its' way out.

And no, I dont' think it's the fan clutch.

I also get a random chirp. Not very often though, maybe about 3-4 times on a 30 minute drive if that.

I've replaced my belt tensioner and idler pulley as well as the belt. I'm not sure if it's coming from under the hood or under the truck? It very seldom does it and if I have a passenger in the truck then they can't seem to hear it but I can.

To me it sounds just like a split second bird chirp. It seems to happen more during accelerating from a stop to about 30 mph. Perhaps it's transmission related? The truck runs great, just chirps every now & then.

for bird chirp with the A/C on, i and others had luck with one particular belt. Its the Goodyear Gatorback. Only that one and the box will say 'Gatorback'. For some reason it eliminated my chirp. I thought i remember somewhere its the A/C clutch pulley alignment, dealer recommend a new A/C comp and clutch to fix. 5 years ago belt seemed cheaper, running the same belt.

Thanks Jim. I'm going to try that next belt change.

Chirping is the first sign of a Harmonic balancer going, Do a search and see if your symptoms match up..Hopefully its not because if you think that power steering pump is a PITA, just wait..lol

I figured out my chirping noise. It's just the A/C compressor cycling.

Back