• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

2004 Mountaineer mystery illness?

Sweetnesss

Reaction score
Howdy all.

Brand spanking new here. Tried searching for a similar problem, but didn't come across any. If it's here somewhere, please point me in the right direction.

We have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer Premier AWD V8.

So, I was hauling the crew home from a birthday party, doing about 60mph. Very flat road. No cruise control used. Started doing the "hiccup" thing, like it was running out of gas, but still had 1/4 of a tank. Less than 2 miles later, it died. Coasted to the shoulder and tried to start it a few times, with no luck. Kept getting "low oil pressure" in message center, and the "hi temp low oil" light came on. Ended up getting towed home.

No problems with the vehicle until now, aside from the tire pressure sensors going out. I was told to try starting it in neutral, but that didn't work either.
Got my hands on a "carmd" doo-dad, and pulled DTCs (listed below), but the only stuff it shows are related to SRS and ABS, so I'm wondering how or if that even relates to oil pressure...

I'd like to have the vehicle running by Monday, to avoid renting a car for another week. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where to begin looking for problems? I can't afford to take it to the dealership.

ABS codes:
U1900 - CAN communication bus fault-receive error
B1676 - battery pack voltage out of range
B2900 - mismatched VIN

SRS codes:
B1342 - ECU/GEM defect/internal failure
B1921 - air bag diagnostic monitor ground circuit open

If anyone has any suggestions, besides taking it in to be serviced, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks!

swetrid

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Reading Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
They have nothing to do with the stalling problem. Sounds like possibly a fuel pump problem.

2002GreyHD150

Reaction score
City, State
DFW, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Mountaineer 4.6L AWD
I think the trick for you is one step at a time. Its easy when you are on the side of the road to freak out about every light, every message, every sound. Process of elminiation will help guide you.

the "low oil pressure" in the message center happend any time you kick the key on with the doors closed. like the ABS light & all the various "idiot lights" Usually the message center will read "door adjar". You were likely trying to start the truck with the door(s) closed. And obviously, if the engine has not actuaally started, there would not be any oil pressure.

To die flat like that I would be leaning toward Fuel pump &/or Fuel filter. the only possible engine code you would get is low fuel pressure or an EVAP/emmisions code. But that would be rare. You kneel along side the Monty, have someone sit in the truck with the doors closed, radio off, ac/heat off, quiet area as possible. When they turn the key on you should hear the faint whirrr of the fuel pump. If you HEAR the pump, even slightly, then borrow a fuel pressure gauge from AutoZone or where ever, check fuel pressure @ the fuel rail. if its under 20-30psi, its either clogged fuel filter or a dead/dying fuel pump. BE CAREFUL attaching the gauge, the rail is under pressure, it will shoot out, it hurts like hell in the eyes & is a fire hazzard.

Also, if you flip the key on & all the dash lights go bezerk-crazy fluttering/flashing fast or dimming out slowly, then battery/alternator/main fuses is where you look.

I've seen some of the 4.6 V-8 alternators die without warning, slowly kill the battery & act that way. I know my wife's Monty the battery just died. Alt was fine. But acted JUST like that. But the dash lights were showing an obvious electrical problem.

* can you hear the fuel pump when you kick the key on & all the dash lights come on, BEFORE you start/crank?

* Mileage on the engine/chassis?

* Maintenance history?

let us know what you find.

Rob

Rayne78

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Mountaineer 4.6L
@ Sweetness. Have you resolved the issue yet? My Mountaineer did the same exact thing. I got a hi temp/Low oil light and the engine went to reduced power then cut off. I'm curious as to what you found out about the situation.