• Register Today It's free!

2004 Nissan Xterra "squeak"

Bigcheck1

Reaction score
City, State
Marlton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Nissan Xterra
You guys had been a tremendous resource with my previous Explorer and I am once again looking for some insight with my current vehicle as I have yet to find an Xterra forum with as much info as here.

Topic:
04 Xterra, 69000 miles.

Problem:
Weird squeak from rear end somewhere. Imagine pulling into a parking spot or accelerating from a light with a somewhat loud (windows down, it can be clearly heard) squeak coming from rear brakes or somewhere else back there. Squeak sounds like a dry-erase marker writing on a whiteboard. The squeak does quicken with speed until it gets past 15 or so MPH.

I did just replace the front rotors and pads 2 weeks ago without touching or bleeding the rear drums at all. I did not notice the squeak prior to that. I plan on getting it up in the air tomorrow to look into the rear drums.

Is it possible for the rear driveshaft/pinion/axle to start rhythmically squeaking? I'm hoping it has something to do with the rear drums and not the pinion, etc...

Any suggestions????

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A u-joint that is eating itself apart (its dry, grease is all gone) sounds like a bird chirping at around 5 mph.

A u-joint that is eating itself apart (its dry, grease is all gone) sounds like a bird chirping at around 5 mph.

Crikey! It's the famous U-Joint Bird!

Sorry, I'm in an extremely good mood. Just had a date that went really well, so forgive me!!

Thanks for the direction guys. I played around a bit today and the u-joint looks great, no issue there. This is so very weird. Any more ideas...I'm open to 'em.

big did those sites i found u help at all.

Yes sir. Poked around a bit and ended up taking out my driveshaft and spinning the rear by hand which led me directly to the U-joint. On this particular vehicle you cannot replace the ujoint itself, but instead have to buy a whole new driveshaft. Ordered and will be installed Wednesday.

Wonderful.....

Back