• Register Today It's free!

tjtheman007

Reaction score
City, State
Kankakee, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Hey guys,

Ok, so I own a Black 2004 Sport Trac 4x4 Adrenalin. It has 209,200+ miles on it and the timing chain is starting to rattle.
If I have to remove the engine to repair it, the 4.0 isn't going to be reinstalled. I've been wanting to do a 5.0 swap into the Sport Trac for a long time now!

I have 2 2000 V8 AWD Explorers, one is a rusty limited which will be the donor. I'll eventually be installing the message center into the center console of the sport trac as well, but that is in a later stage.

So, in conjunction with the V8 302 swap, I will also be swapping in a 4406 transfer case while reusing the electronic shifter from the current 1356 transfer case. (Currently the sport trac has the ability to "neutral tow" behind an RV or other vehicle via a tow bar and 4-wheels down. Swapping in the 4406 while reusing the electronic 4x4 shifter, I'll be able to retain the "Neutral Towing" capability - Something that was never available with the AWD V8 on the earlier explorers.

With preparing for the swap, wiring is one of the headaches that can arise. Even more so for a Job 2 sport trac.

I went to the junkyard yesterday and grabbed the main wiring harnesses from similar vehicles. (Both came from 2001 vehicles, one a 2001 V8 Mountaineer, the other a 2001 4.0 SOHC Explorer Sport.) I will be joining these together to make the engine wiring install much simpler.

Here is what I have so far:

2017-04-12%2015.47.28_zpsoq2pytcv.jpg

Here is the pin out differences and how I am splicing them together. Making it basically plug and play. (Need an extra 6" of wiring anyway so the harness isn't stretched, so, win-win.)

(The 2004 uses a digital interface for the dash gauges (SCP Bus - Pin 3 & 11)) - similar to that of a scan gauge II that uses the OBD port for data. For older swaps, the analog gauge data might be necessary. I'm kinda thinking if the pins are empty/unused on the 04 sport trac side of the C110/C115 connector, I might still wire up the analog gauge wires in case this adapter ever gets removed out of the 04 Trac and gets used in another project... ***Anyone have a wiring diagram for a Job 1 Sport Trac or an Explorer Sport?)

***I need to figure out what Pin 42 is on the 2000 V8 connector. It is Circuit 36 YE/WH. Anyone know what it goes to?***

Wiring%20Harness%20Pin%20Out_zpsw611yfgw.jpg

These are the Ford wiring diagrams for each vehicle:

20170412_234341_zpsthmirtbj.jpg

20170412_234413_zpsx8tzyoli.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK! So, making progress.

I AM able to retain the "Neutral Tow" feature when performing the V8 swap!!
(So I am able to flat tow/dingy tow the Sport Trac with all 4 wheels down. - Again, I prefer a trailer, but I am trying to avoid tongue weight currently on my 1956 Scenicruiser bus conversion project - see signature. I will beef the bus up eventually, but for now the "Neutral Tow" feature will do.)

I am getting my Sport Trac programmed tomorrow for the "Neutral Tow Kit" I snagged outta the junk yard 2 weeks ago. (That was an awesome find!)

As long as I retain the electronic shifting of the transfer case, even when I switch to the 4406 with the 302 swap, I should be able to retain the neutral tow feature as it is only programmed into the 4x4 module, NOT the PCM. This is also why I'm having it programmed now while I still have a running and working 4.0 V6 as I am unsure how that will mess with the programming if done post swap with the 5.0 V8 connected to the OBDII/diagnostic port.

(Newer explorers and Gen 2 Sport Tracs require the use of the PCM as they have to hold the 4x4 switch down to engage the neutral feature. 2003-05 Sport Tracs and 06+ Rangers only require the use of the brake pedal and shifting the transmission into neutral.)

Sport Trac - Ranger.JPG

4x4 module.JPG

E Label - large.JPG

For anyone else curious of the 2003-2005 Sport Tracs as well as the 06+ Ranger's Neutral Tow installation, see the attached PDF.

Attachments

• 2011-06-16_204533_explorer_sport_trac_ranger_neutral_tow_rev_6-20-0511.pdf
    945.3 KB · Views: 807

Good luck with this! Seems like you're doing very diligent research before starting. I'm going to be doing the same thing hopefully this summer, once I can find a decent shape donor for a good price. Anything you can post on the wiring would be helpful.

"... ***Anyone have a wiring diagram for a Job 1 Sport Trac or an Explorer Sport?***..."

I believe I do. My workshop Manuals cover the early and late 01 Explorer Sport and Sport Tracs....including the wiring manual.

I like how you pulled the wiring harnesses from the junkyard. i was thinking of doing the same thing. I will be watching this thread and might even follow along. I am not doing the swap yet but I would like to prepare. Seems like you are on the right track.

Neal

Good luck with this! Seems like you're doing very diligent research before starting. I'm going to be doing the same thing hopefully this summer, once I can find a decent shape donor for a good price. Anything you can post on the wiring would be helpful.

Thanks man! I figured I'd rather do the ground work now and make the actually installation less crazy.
I will keep this thread updated!

"... ***Anyone have a wiring diagram for a Job 1 Sport Trac or an Explorer Sport?***..."

I believe I do. My workshop Manuals cover the early and late 01 Explorer Sport and Sport Tracs....including the wiring manual.

I like how you pulled the wiring harnesses from the junkyard. i was thinking of doing the same thing. I will be watching this thread and might even follow along. I am not doing the swap yet but I would like to prepare. Seems like you are on the right track.

Neal

Thanks!!! Yep, I'm just in the prep stages currently. I have actually 2 2000 explorers, both with the 302 v8 & AWD. The donor (black Limited) currently runs and drives and is my "parts run" vehicle, just quite a bit rusty. Picked it up last year for $500! (Was my DD for a while last year actually)
The other, (Blue loaded XLT) I need to finish swapping the motor (I hydro locked it a while back - have a new "used" one with low miles from the JY waiting to go in.) as it will be my DD when I take down both my 04 ST and the 2000 Limited V8 explorer to actually perform the swap.

Thanks for the support guys!!

Sounds good so far! I am picking up a white 2004 sport Trac here pretty soon. I'm planning on doing a 5.0/5 speed swap. I'm still debating on doing a SAS on it or not. My goal is to make a vehicle that is good on and off road so I can go camping/exploring with my kids. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

Still dedicated to this swap, just life always gets in the way and slows stuff down. Hobbies are always the first thing that get shelved when life gets a little crazy.

Anyway, some progress is being made. Found out a couple of the wires jump to a different harness; the C139 on the Sport Trac side. (Oil Pressure, Charge Indicator, & a ground.) I have a spare C139 harness ready and have labeled the wires that need to be routed over from the V8 harness.
Making my intermediate "Jumper" harness will make it easier to route these wires over to the proper harness (C139) on the Sport Trac side.

Still working on tracing out a few wires, 6 to be exact, but I have a good idea on a couple of them. Some of those 6 might just get taped off as the 2004 & 2005 Sport Trac dash gauges are "mostly" digital and communicate with the engine PCM over the over the SCP bus -Pin 3 & 11. (MPH, RPM, Check Engine Light, Coolant temp, etc. are all digital now and utilize the SCP bus; similar to how the OBDII port works.)

Well, here is the progress on the wiring diagram, and then the actual joining of the connectors. (9 pins are currently soldered and ready to go, almost all the rest are joined, ready to be soldered and heat shrink wrapped -utilizing MARINE heat shrink for a better weatherization seal.)

I'll post up more original wiring harness diagrams later if anyone is interested or will be doing this swap on their own.
Others have assisted me with different year Sport Tracs wiring and that has been an AMAZING help when tracing things on my 2004 Trac. Formally, thanks to everyone who has helped thus far!

Updated Wiring on my "Jumper" harness to join the 2000 V8-engine 42-pin connector (C115) to the 42-pin connector (C110) on the 2004 Sport Trac firewall side.

42-pin C115 c110 harness adapter wiring.JPG

What the "Jumper" harness actually currently looks like:

20180111_090759.jpg

I wanted to update this thread with some more information that was shared with me.

I reached out to "RangerSVT" (He is on a few other forums - Example of another V8 Sport Trac Swap he did: Project N2Ford, yet another V8 swap trac - Ford Forums & Technical Discussions)
He was fantastic and informed me of a couple important things:

1. There is a starter relay in the BJB (Battery Junction Box) that needs to be grounded out.
- The PATS/ECU on the 2004 Sport Trac controls the injectors AND the starter. The 2000 Explorer PATS/ECU only controls the injectors.
- *I believe this is pin 28 - (circuit 325) DB/OG on the 2004 Sport Trac side... (Need to research and trace it)
- **Also probably couldn't hurt to trade out pin 24 being that the color changed and verify what and where exactly this goes to.
2. Pin 42 on the C115 (V8 side) - Circuit 36 YE/WH is NOT a ground. It is an alternator wire.
- I need to trace the corresponding circuit on the 04 Sport Trac side and see where that goes.
3. The 2004 Sport Trac has a FPDM (Fuel Pump Driver Module) that the 2000 explorer did not have. This has to be bypassed on the 2004 Sport Trac.
- *This is located in a different harness all together.
- According to RangerSVT, this either started in 03 or 04. I assume this affects 2005 Sport Tracs as well.
4. On the 2004 Sport Trac, the ECU controlled the A/C Clutch. On the 2000 V8, it is controlled via the interior HVAC control panel (Well, to a relay, then out to the A/C clutch)
- Basically, I can't just jump it, otherwise it will run all the time.
- So... Basically I need to re-look at Pins (& Circuits) 30, 35, & 37. and trace those back.

RangerSVT knows his stuff, glad he could help you. I am not much on wiring but I will try and help answer questions as they come up.

@N2FORD Thanks man! The forum RangerSVT did for you was a huge help!! Thanks for being willing to keep an eye on this thread for me. I'll probably need it.

@vroomzoomboom Thanks!! Dude, your "So you want to convert to a 5.0? 5L swap for dummies" forum was a huge help too!! Thats where I got the idea for the "jumper" harness. You have some fantastic info in there!!!!!!

If you do a 4406 you can just put it in neutral to tow it , or if you really want to keep electric shift then a 4406 e- shift will work with in place of the original case , ive done both in my V8 sport

1. There is a starter relay in the BJB (Battery Junction Box) that needs to be grounded out.
- The PATS/ECU on the 2004 Sport Trac controls the injectors AND the starter. The 2000 Explorer PATS/ECU only controls the injectors.
- *I believe this is pin 28 - (circuit 325) DB/OG on the 2004 Sport Trac side... (Need to research and trace it)
- **Also probably couldn't hurt to trade out pin 24 being that the color changed and verify what and where exactly this goes to.
2. Pin 42 on the C115 (V8 side) - Circuit 36 YE/WH is NOT a ground. It is an alternator wire.
- I need to trace the corresponding circuit on the 04 Sport Trac side and see where that goes.
3. The 2004 Sport Trac has a FPDM (Fuel Pump Driver Module) that the 2000 explorer did not have. This has to be bypassed on the 2004 Sport Trac.
- According to RangerSVT, this either started in 03 or 04. I assume this affects 2005 Sport Tracs as well.
4. On the 2004 Sport Trac, the ECU controlled the A/C Clutch. On the 2000 V8, it is controlled via the interior HVAC control panel (Well, to a relay, then out to the A/C clutch)
- Basically, I can't just jump it, otherwise it will run all the time.
- So... Basically I need to re-look at Pins (& Circuits) 30, 35, & 37. and trace those back.

Research Findings:

1. **Skipping this for now. We'll come back to it later.**

2. The alternator on the 2004 Sport Trac has its very own wiring harness. It goes directly to the BJB (Battery Junction Box). Some of the signal wires needed for the gauge cluster go into the firewall via the C139 connector.
Pin 42 (on the C115 engine harness connector) on the 2000 V8 Explorer side is for the alternator. On the 2004 Sport Trac, this is in its own wiring harness. as mentioned above.
- I have two options:
Option one: utilize the 2004 Sport Trac's alternator Harness from the alternator to the BJB but splice in the following from the 2000 V8 Engine harness: Pin 26 - 253, DG/WH - Engine Oil Pressure, Pin 34 - 570, BK/WH - Ground. (I will be able to disregard this then on the V8 side: Pin 41 - 904, LG/RD - Charge Indicator Instrument Cluster Light - as it will come from the 2004 Sport Trac's original alternator harness. It looks like however, that this harness also has wires integrated with it that go to the starter. The starter on the 2004 Sport Trac 4.0l V6 is on the driver's side, whereas the starter on the 2000 V8 Explorer is on the passenger side. I'll have to re-work part of this harness that way too.
Option 2: Utilize totally the 2000 V8 Explorer harness, including the alternator wiring and starter wiring aspects of it. The only thing is the main charge wiring back to the BJB will have to be interwoven differently. (Sport Trac uses fusable links inline, where the V8 Explorer uses a sole fuse in the BJB.) Then, within my "jumper" harness between the C115 & C110 42-pin connectors, route the follwoing over to the C139 Sport Trac connector: Pin 26 - 253, DG/WH - Engine Oil Pressure, Pin 34 - 570, BK/WH - Ground, & Pin 41 - 904, LG/RD - Charge Indicator Instrument Cluster Light.

Im looking to utilize option 2 at the current moment, but that main change once the swap is under way.

Here are the pictures of the wiring for the charging system and how I was able to trace the routing:

2000 V8 Explorer Charging System Wiring:

20180116_162509_1516221701092_resized.jpg

2004 V6 Sport Trac Charging System Wiring:

20180116_162609_1516221697183_resized.jpg

3. **Skipping this for now. We'll come back to it later.**

4. I actually think I am going to be OK on the A/C clutch side of things. I don't think anything further is necessary. The wire color, circuit #, routing & layout all match exactly. (I'll have to reach back out to RangerSVT again to confirm though.) Maybe I'm missing something in the BJB??
As far as I can tell, what was controlled by the PCM on the 2000 V8 is also the same that was controlled by the 2004 V6 Trac. However, I am open to be corrected.

Here are the diagrams that led me to this conclusion:

2000 V8 Explorer A/C Clutch Wiring:

20180117_134810_1516219863424_resized.jpg

2004 V6 Sport Trac A/C Clutch Wiring:

20180117_134739_1516219868326_resized.jpg

I'm also getting ready to do a V8 swap in my 02 job 2 trac and after what i went through doing my V8 two door im just gonna swap everything from my doner vehicle

I'm also getting ready to do a V8 swap in my 02 job 2 trac and after what i went through doing my V8 two door im just gonna swap everything from my doner vehicle

Honestly, thats probably easiest. Dash, engine bay wiring, Key'd locks, everything. lol. Maybe a few interior wires to cut and splice, but that would be way easier!

Sadly, that isn't an option on my 2004 Sport Trac. The firewall harnesses and even the cutout opening for that under the brake booster are completely different.

Ok, revisiting #1:

1. Just confirming, Pin 28 on the 2004 Sport Trac side does in fact NEED to be grounded out for the vehicle to start. (It used to go to the 4.0L PCM, which if PATS registered successfully, would ground that out within the PCM. Because the 2000 V8 PCM doesn't have that circuit -And because PATS is different- you need to manually ground it out.) This side of the circuit just goes through a relay in the BJB, so grounding it out is all that is necessary. Could be tied into any ground. (I will just join it with Pin 34 -570 BK/WH- on the 2000 V8 Harness within my "Jumper" harness to solve this problem. It'll keep it looking clean as well.)
**Note: On the 2nd picture below (2004 Sport Trac) that "Circuit 325 (DB/OG)" on the bottom right-hand corner goes to the PCM. Compare that to the 2000 Explorer picture where it goes straight to ground.

While on the "start circuit" topic, just wanted to confirm, Pin 24 on both sides of this "jumper" harness go to the exact same thing. On the 2000 V8 side however, it actually did start off as "Circuit 33 WH/PK" but then changed within connector C148 to "Circuit 329 PK".

Here are the "Starting Systems" pages from the wiring diagrams for each vehicle to see how exactly I matched them up:

2000 V8 Explorer:

20180117_193411_1516243453223_resized.jpg

2004 V6 Sport Trac:

20180117_193422_1516243457662_resized.jpg

Below is the most up to date screenshot of the Excel spreadsheet I have of the 42-pin connector mapping. (If anyone needs the actual Excel document, I'm happy to send it to you, just send me a PM.)
I finally got the rest of the unknown circuits routed and traced out!!! I'm pretty pumped about that. (Especially with only having the paper copies of the wiring diagram manuals.)
I'm pretty happy with it currently and have figured out all my other "Red" marked circuits. The "Red" now means further action is required.

Updated - 42-pin C115 c110 harness adapter wiring.jpg

2 Things to note:
- First, I have one other option for Pin 42 on the 2000 V8 side. (The alternator reference voltage circuit) Bare with me, it'll make more sense when if I can show you in real life. However, on the V8 side, Pin 42 goes into the BJB to a 30amp fuse. Basically this wire just needs to get a reference voltage from the battery. As an option, I can utilize and splice that YE/WH wire from the V8 side into Pins 34 & 42 on the 2004 Sport Trac side. With one change being I have to replace the 10amp fuse from the circuit on pin 34 (1138 (VT/WH) with a 15amp fuse. (See the notes in the picture above within the "Purpose" column) It would make it look much cleaner and I can do most of the "work" within that "jumper" harness. I'm kinda liking that idea actually. (It removes the fuseable links from the 2004 Sport Trac wiring and replaces that routing with fuses. -I find that the fuses would be easier to replace if you were to brake down on the road.)
**Credit to this one goes to @vroomzoomboom and his So you want to convert to a 5.0? 5L swap for dummies as there was a statement in there that assisted me. I modified it to make sense on my wiring swap: "Pin 42 V8 Side: if you encounter a YE/WH wire, this is basically a wire from the alternator regulator to the power supply that supplies a reference voltage. Without it hooked up, the engine will idle higher and the battery light will be on. to make it correct, run the YE/WH wire from the 4.0 EBH (Sport Trac Side "engine bay harness") C125/C139 [or C110/C115] connector to the power distribution box where the big battery cables attach. Hooking that up will solve the issue."​

- Second thing, I don't know if the digital instrument cluster in the 2004 Sport Trac will display "O/D Off" on the digital display with the 2000 V8 PCM. In the 2004 Sport Trac currently, there is NO light on the instrument cluster when the "O/D Off" button is pushed, Instead, the display below your odometer displays "O/D Off". On the 2000 V8, the "O/D Off" light is within the instrument cluster. I don't know if the O/D Off feature is transmitted digitally through the SCP bus... I guess that is a chance I have to take...

2004 Sport Trac Instrument Cluster W/ O/D Off selected:
20180117_221612_1516249145597_resized.jpg

***I do plan on swapping in the PATS module from the donor 2000 V8 Limited Explorer AS WELL as the Limited steering wheel that is in it into the Sport Trac. (And i'm trying to get the message center console installed as well... that will be a whole another headache.)

Also, here is the pin outs & mapping I have thus far of the 2000 V8 C125 connector to the 2004 Sport Trac C139 connector:

C125 and C139 harnesses.JPG

Sweet! So literally everything necessary is figured out except....

Next item up for discussion, the annoying FPDM (Fuel Pump Driver Module).

Some of the circuits stayed the same, but the routing of them changed. I need to look at this further later to develop a plan of attach to bypass or jump this (Or see how to integrate it into the swap)
The part that sucks, this particular device sits right above the spare tire carrier, between it and the underside of the Sport Trac bed.
I don't have a plan of attack yet, but I'll at least upload the pictures for all to see. I'll revisit this at a later date. Enjoy.

2000 V8 Explorer fuel pump wiring routing:
(*I know I skipped some pages on this one. However, the "25-7" page is only shown to see that, on the upper right-hand side, the PCM connects to the instrument cluster directly via the circuit 29 (YE/WH) as that does match up with the 2004 Sport Trac. The main information and routing for the 2000 V8 side is on page "25-1".)

20180117_213131_1516249138158_resized.jpg

20180117_213145_1516249141362_resized.jpg

2004 Sport Trac fuel pump & FPDM wiring routing:

20180117_213104_1516249131348_resized.jpg

20180117_213117_1516249134653_resized.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm getting ready to do this swap on my 03 ST as soon as I get done with the 302 swap on my bronco 2 lol. I have enjoyed reading this article. Were you able to get everything figured out and running?

Back