2004 Sport Trac 302 V8 Swap Prep | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I've been working on a 02 sport trac 5.0 and its wiring lately if you need further guidance

This thread is awesome, but it just dead ended 2 years ago now...........................

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm doing a 99 to 05 sport trac right now, its taking time but I’m guessing i should start a thread.
I haven't got to the real deep trouble parts yet.
When i started following this thread it looked promising. A lot of prep and documentation.

05 is a little more tricky but can be done
There are only a few examples of a 05 being converted online and the details are scarce
But the 05 model still has the C115 (on explorer v8 it is called c115, rangers c112, and sometimes others its c110 42 pin plug) which makes the swap way possible
You will have to wire around the fuel pump driver module and sort out the pats system or tune around it, 05 is the last year of the "easy" 5.0 conversion
After 06 they introduced the can bus communications network and smart junction box, no more 42 pin connector.........this is where it gets really nasty :)

I did a 99 5.0 in my 05 trac. The main differences between an 01-03 swap is the fuel pump driver module wiring and the cluster. I ended up using the GEM and cluster from the 99 and a Dakota digital to get most everything working. If anyone has any specific questions, let me know. It can be done!

One of the things I certainly didn't catch before was the Fuel Pump Driver, that's a huge leg up!
CotoMI what is the reasons for changing the GEM? does it have to do with the digital portion of the cluster?

The 04-05 digital cluster uses the SCP data links to get speed and RPM but i couldn't get it to work with the 99 ECU. The 04-05 cluster microprocessor does most of what the GEM did in earlier models so to swap clusters, you also need to add in the GEM. Big pain, but it worked! When I get the motivation, I have a 03 ST GEM that I will replace the 99 explorer GEM with. The SRS light is on with the current setup, I think because the way the restraint control module is wired up (different between 99-01 explorers and 01-05 tracs). You will also lose the auto headlights, but I'm sure there is a work around for that, just haven't bothered with it.

All,
I apologize as reply notifications to this thread were were going to my spam folder within my email.

Give me a couple days and I'll have a formal update to this and see if I can give more clarifications to some of the questions.

In addition to a wiring schematic for the 42-pin engine/body harness adapter/extension & the C139 harness, I also have a hand written wiring diagram that goes over bypassing the FPDM. I'll see if I can get that posted.

Please note, wiring for 04 & 05 Sport Trac's is different from the Job 2 01-03 Sport Tracs. 04 & 05, you have a digital cluster and a FPDM (Fuel pump driver module, next to spare tire) that needs to be addressed. A few of the pinouts of the 42-pin engine harness are different as well.

(Long story short, I still have the Sport Trac, but it needed the frame repaired. -Where the exhaust down pipe meets the cat-back. With the Illinois salt and the heat cycles of the exhaust, it wreaked havoc on the frame where those coupled.- Under the passenger front door, inside frame rail. I'll include some pictures of that. Kinda a known issue here in the rust belt on the 4.0 v6 explorers of this generation.
Engine is removed, trans is removed, exhaust is out, etc. The donor engine needed some attention as well. Time is my biggest enemy, but hoping to have everything installed within the next 1-2 months. I just need to get this project finished!! Its been farrrrr to long!)

The 04-05 digital cluster uses the SCP data links to get speed and RPM but i couldn't get it to work with the 99 ECU. The 04-05 cluster microprocessor does most of what the GEM did in earlier models so to swap clusters, you also need to add in the GEM. Big pain, but it worked! When I get the motivation, I have a 03 ST GEM that I will replace the 99 explorer GEM with. The SRS light is on with the current setup, I think because the way the restraint control module is wired up (different between 99-01 explorers and 01-05 tracs). You will also lose the auto headlights, but I'm sure there is a work around for that, just haven't bothered with it.

@COtoMI Thanks for the information!!!
I was hoping the SCP bus WOULD work with the 04 Sport Trac cluster; the communication between the 5.0 PCM and the digital cluster. I assumed it worked similar to a ScanGaugeII. Crap, that might throw a wrench into things. Worst case, I can use a ScanGauge II if necessary temporarily to verify I can get the truck running. (My donor is a 2000 Explorer, so PCM should be identical to your donor 99) Did the Sport Trac cluster get any readings at all? I believe there are 1-2 analog gauges on there, did those work?

PATS is another post I'll have to make. I actually was able to self-program keys to work on the old PCM/PATS module -From the donor 2000. I'll need to swap in the donor's PATS module, but everything else should work. the 04-05 keys & PATS are a newer system with the newer style keys. I had to have the older style, the style used on the 99-01 explorers, cut to my ignition & doors on the Sport Trac. I then took apart the donor 2000 Explorer's steering column & ignition key socket so I could hold a good known working key within the RFID sensor while using the other within the key'd ignition. (This does require 2 working keys for the donor!) Its essentially just programming an extra key or two using the self-program method. I just had to take it a step further as the new keys were cut for the Sport Trac, not the donor vehicle.
I'll elaborate more later and include pictures. (Obviously easier to go to a Ford dealer and have them program it for you :) I was suborn and wanted to try this out for myself. It worked!)

well heck yeah! good info...looking forward to more

@tjtheman007 I was hoping it would work too! I got readings through the scan gauge, but couldn't get the tac, speedometer or odometer to work. If I remember correctly, the other temp and pressure gauges worked, which is weird because those are said to be also communicated over SCP. If someone can figure this out, it would make the swap waaay easier. I feel like it might have something to do with the PCM and cluster being linked together somehow, but that is only a guess. I just gave up and went the old school route.

tacometer and speedometer issues with the digital smart cluster you might be able to solve with a little doohickey for under $100

Universal Speedometer Signal Interface

"(different between 99-01 explorers and 01-05 tracs). You will also lose the auto headlights, but I'm sure there is a work around for that, just haven't bothered with it."

I do not believe the 99-01 Explorer ever had a restrains computer.....

That's the problem. 99-01 Ex fed the driver seat belt signal to the gem and then to the cluster and used the message center (if equipped) for the tone request (annoying beeping). 01-03 ST fed a single signal from the SRS for both driver and passenger to the gem and then the cluster and used the gem for the tone request. 04-05 ST fed a single signal from the SRS for both driver and passenger to the cluster and used the cluster for the tone request. Unless you can get the 04-05 digital cluster to work, I'd use a 99-03 cluster, a 01-03 ST gem and the dakota digital SGI-5E along with the original 04-05 abs unit. That should make everything work correctly (minus auto headlights). I used the 99-01 explorer gem which is why I think I have seat belt light and SRS light issues and no seat belt beeping.

To the OP, did you ever finish the truck? You had mentioned a paper copy of the fuel pump delivery module, is that something you still have? Like you, Im trying to do all the research stuff, so I have something to refer to for the wiring. Im putting a 2000 explorer 5.0 into a 04 ST. Thank you all for helping and giving your previous findings!

Great thread, this is a good alternative to rebuilding a 4L V6, I’ll defiantly be Studding this thread in more detail.

Sweet! So literally everything necessary is figured out except....

Next item up for discussion, the annoying FPDM (Fuel Pump Driver Module).

Some of the circuits stayed the same, but the routing of them changed. I need to look at this further later to develop a plan of attach to bypass or jump this (Or see how to integrate it into the swap)
The part that sucks, this particular device sits right above the spare tire carrier, between it and the underside of the Sport Trac bed.
I don't have a plan of attack yet, but I'll at least upload the pictures for all to see. I'll revisit this at a later date. Enjoy.

2000 V8 Explorer fuel pump wiring routing:
(*I know I skipped some pages on this one. However, the "25-7" page is only shown to see that, on the upper right-hand side, the PCM connects to the instrument cluster directly via the circuit 29 (YE/WH) as that does match up with the 2004 Sport Trac. The main information and routing for the 2000 V8 side is on page "25-1".)

View attachment 154128
View attachment 154129

2004 Sport Trac fuel pump & FPDM wiring routing:

View attachment 154126
View attachment 154127
Great project, how is it going and has any one transplanted motors from later models, as far as I know you have to replace bell housings or complete gearboxes as the 4L V6 has a unique gearbox mounting pattern not found on other Ford motors, my Land Rover 2005 is fitted with a 6 speed automatic ZF gearbox all in one housing, so I would have to make an adapter plate to fit a new donor motor.

Great project, how is it going and has any one transplanted motors from later models, as far as I know you have to replace bell housings or complete gearboxes as the 4L V6 has a unique gearbox mounting pattern not found on other Ford motors, my Land Rover 2005 is fitted with a 6 speed automatic ZF gearbox all in one housing, so I would have to make an adapter plate to fit a new donor motor.
Im actually in-process of putting a 2000 explorer 5.0 motor and the 4r70w transmission mated to it into my 2001 4wd sport trac. Originally I was going to put it into a 2004 ST truck, but it was only 2wd, I will need to get the transfer case from a 99-2003 f150 (4406 if I recall correctly) as the TC on the 5r55 is also too small. The 5r55 transmission currently mated to the 4.0 v6 does in fact use a much older and smaller bell pattern. This transmission is not the one you would want to install even if it fit perfectly to the 5.0. It would be utilized at its upper limits of capacity. The 4r70w is a much stronger, proven transmission. In looking under my neighbors 2001 f150 5.4 4wd, it looks like the 5.4 also uses the 4r70w. I briefly looked at pics of a 2005 Land Rover transmission, and yes something would need to be created to be able to bolt it to a 5.0. I also noticed the transfer case assy is also different, assuming you were able to get the motor and rover transmission mated together, it looks like custom front and rear driveshafts would be necessary. Then figuring a way to make those 2 communicate. I just dont see what real benefits you would gain over the tried and tested 4r70w. Hope this helps clarify it up some.

Back