2004 Sport trac damaged 2-piece tonneau cover? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Sport trac damaged 2-piece tonneau cover?

arseatea

Reaction score
City, State
Beavercreek Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport trac XLT
Zeroing in on little repairs. My tonneau looks like someone got on it and jumped up and down to see how strong it is. It apparently was not strong enough. So I have 5 delicately spaced cracks in the fiberglass? that needs repair. Yesterday, I folded it back on the front piece, and put a 2"x4" under the lock knob to spread the cracks a bit, and liberally infused each crack with Gorilla glue. Will it hold? I don't know, but there isn't much downward pressure on the top when it is closed as it rests on the tail gate. But, just in case it does not hold, I am already looking at doing a repair with Bondo fiberglass cloth. But my wife, bless her heart, wants me to buy some of that plastic stuff that is advertised where the guy cuts a boat in half, covers it with plastic film, then goes boating. Anyone have any true experience with that plastic sheeting? Or any other ideas? It has to have a strong tensile strength to keep the middle of the tonneau from sagging over time.

I would stick with fiberglass. Rough up repair area, use fiberglass sheets. Maybe fiberglass a wood support across cover for extra support.

Fiber glass would be my 2nd best suggestion right behind Gorilla glue. I too was thinking of a support piece, but was thinking of a piece of aluminum angle. A nice little piece of oak or hickory might be better.

Back