2004 Sport Trac - Fuel dumping into cylinders !! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Sport Trac - Fuel dumping into cylinders !!

Big country95

Reaction score
City, State
Apollo beach Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer sport trac
Hey all,
Brand new to the forum and I'm having big issues with my 04 explorer sport trac 4.0 I replaced the PCM and had the pats proggrammed.I was told the injectors were bad so I took them out and had them tested all checked out good but I have fuel dumping into the cylinders when I have the key on,engine off so I figured the pressure regulator was at fault here but I was then told on returnless fuel systems there is no regulator on the fuel rail so now I'm stumped any help or advice is greatly appritated thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cannot say if it is your problem or not, but you do have a fuel pressure damper, its on the beginning of the fuel rail, drivers side near the firewall. Look up you trac on rock auto and you can see what it looks like.

Yes I know about the damper but from my understanding it doesn't necessarily control fuel flow it only reduces the force of the fuel wave that hits the fuel rail... what about the fuel pressure sensor on the driver side fuel rail what would be the chances of that goin bad?

I can't help you. I don't totally understand the fuel system as well as others here. You might also write more about what was going on several steps back that led to the new PCM etc.

The was I understand an injector to work is it won't fire unless told to. Voltage. Do you think you have an over pressure on the fuel rail that causes all the injectors to leak? Can you check for stray voltage at the injectors ? Dave P.

Back