• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

2004 sport trac need more mpg

chefcree

Reaction score
Hi I am a new owner of a 2004 explorer sport trac 4.0.
I am looking to get better mileage. Any suggestions? Cold air? Chip? I am wondering about spef. brands.. Thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

IAmTodd

4x Explorer Veteran
Reaction score
City, State
Johnstown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Jeep
Welcome.

Good luck, aren't we all.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac
Drive only downhill, in Neutral.
Cold air makes a miniscule difference, if any. The best mpg improvement vs. dollar spent are #1) exhaust from Gibson or somebody and #2) an Xcal2 tuner.
The mpg tip I've found is to just slow down. If I keep it to 70 or less I do a lot better. 75+ and the needle drops like a rock. City mpg sucks no matter what.

chad551

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St.Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport Trac
It is a 4500 lb vehicle it will NOT get good gas mileage. And when you put the mods on it it only sucks more gas because you want to see how well it runs.

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
It is a 4500 lb vehicle it will NOT get good gas mileage. And when you put the mods on it it only sucks more gas because you want to see how well it runs.

Excues me, but I beg to differ.