2004 Sport Trac No Start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 Sport Trac No Start

Mtrman

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 sport trac
Hello all!! New here and kinda stranded. Shut off my 2004 Sport Trac the other day....it was fine. Tried to fire it back up , now I have nothing to starter. Turn key on and theft light lights up for check then goes out. Turn the key all the way over to run and nothing. My theft light flashes quickly. Is it locking me out? I am using the same key with nothing changed at all.

I have no power to my solenoid wire down to the starter. All fuses are good, switched starter relay...still no go. I have ignition power coming out of my ignition switch on start position(red wire with a blue trace).

Theft system or neutral safety switch(I have power to neutral safety switch but do not know the color for the wire coming out of the neutral safety switch for ignition to tell if the switch maybe open.

I am looking for a wiring diagram for the starter circuit and the theft system if possible.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time and help in advance!!

Looks like an awesome site!! Cheers eh!!:thumbsup:

fast theft flash is basically an invalid key
- is the key the same one you've always used? (read your post again - yes)
(yes) - are there any other RFID devices on keychain
(yes) - try the key by itself - take it off the keychain <<< try the key all by itself

(no - different key) - use original key <<<try a spare key

-still flashes fast with original key
try another known working key
- still flashes fast
uh oh, problem with either the security module or pickup (transponder) for the RFID system, that's if 2 known working keys didn't start the truck.

What's happening is the security module asks the key for it's ID (RFID = Radio Frequency ID), if the module doesn't get an ID back from the key (or gets a wrong id), it will flash the theft light fast and not let the truck start.

you need too look at the pickup in the steering wheel (around the key cylinder area) verify wiring is ok. WARNING airbag in near vincinity - follow proper safety precautions.

Cheers BDMaash !

Thanks for the help.

yes it is the original key I am using to try and start it. Worked perfect all this time. There is the door remote on the key ring , which i will take off and try the key alone tomorrow.

Took the lower column cover off to check the pickup below the key cylinder. All wiring and pickup looks undisturbed and good.

Found a wiring diagram for the starter circuit and theft system so hopefully we can get it licked!!

will keep in touch!!

Thanks again eh!!

Merry Christmas All !!

Back