2004 Sport Trac. Towing problems. | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

• Holiday Special! - 2 for 1 Elite Explorer sale!

Right now you can purchase an Elite Explorer membership for $20 and receive a two year membership!
    If you have an existing Elite membership contact me by PM and I will upgrade your account manually.

Click Here to start your membership and get rid of the ads!

2004 Sport Trac. Towing problems.

I have a 2004 sport trac and when I try to pull a trailer (small 8'x4') the truck feels like the transmission is going to drop. It shifts really hard and almost feels like it locks into full 4x4 when i make a turn. The truck has 60K miles on it, and has no problems when loaded down with 1200lbs, but when that trailer goes on i have some serious problems! Anybody have any idea what this could be from? The trailer i was pulling can be pulled around the block with one hand, yet i cannot even attempt pulling it anymore due to the drastic change and problems is causes. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, Jay

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars

skeeter123

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.6L
Does the trailer have brakes? If so, try it without the trailer plug connected; it may be that the trailer's brakes are locking up when connected to the vehicle's electrical system for some reason.

Jayprmo

Reaction score
City, State
joliet, il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 sport trac
I actually tried it withouth the electrical hook up and same problem! I guess i noticed a similar problem when i had the spare tire on the truck in the winter. If i tried to go into 4x4 with the spare on it would clunk and shift super hard. Went away when i turned off the 4x4. I figured it had something to do with my spare tire not being the same size as the rest of the tires. Anyway, i have no clue....

jreitz1501

Reaction score
City, State
Camp Hill, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sportrac
I'd suggest focusing on the tranny. De-activate the OD 1st, and if it still occurs, I'd go down on the gear selection to a lower gear. If you start in low gear, does everything work. Then select 2nd manually to try the first shift point, etc.
I pull 3800# and have never experienced anything like you describe? I'd just try to eliminate some things. Hope this helps......